Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt fabric shopping in Minneapolis area? >

Quilt fabric shopping in Minneapolis area?

Quilt fabric shopping in Minneapolis area?

Old 03-19-2012, 01:24 PM

Default Quilt fabric shopping in Minneapolis area?

Going to visit daughter in April. Her town is Prior Lake, MN. I have visited the main quilt shops in the area but does anyone know a discount fabric place? Any neat unadvertised place? Thanks
Old 03-19-2012, 01:28 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

SR Harris in Brooklyn Park. You have never seen anything quite like it.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:15 PM

Thanks . I will google it.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:48 PM

If you want to drive a little go to St. Cloud and Grubers. They have alot of material and I mean alot, they also have an online store so you an check it out before you go.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:58 PM

Mill End Fabric has multiple stores in the metro area. Some are better than others. You can find it on the internet.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:54 PM

Thanks everybody. I will be checking those places out. My daughter will come pick me up at the airport around noon and I think we will go on up to that Brooklyn Park store since it will be closer than going back south to her house and going from there another day. Anybody else? Thanks again!!
Old 03-19-2012, 06:23 PM
Power Poster

Here's the website for S R Harris:
http://www.srharrisfabric.com/
It's a cut-your-own place. All fabrics are 50% of the posted price in the warehouse (but those prices are sometimes a little inflated, so don't get expectations *too* high). Plus, be sure to check the coupons for the month on the website before you go. Last time I went their batiks were on sale, and I think I paid $7/yard (most were Timeless Treasures). They also had quite a selection of extra-wide batiks for backings that were a very good deal.

The warehouse is huge. Put what you want in a cart, go to a cutting table, and measure and cut your yardages. You write the amount and price per yard on a small red sticker that you place on each fabric cut. Anything 5 yards or over, and anything silk, you are supposed to get an attendant to measure and cut for you.

They have everything you could think of in this warehouse; it's not just cottons.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:02 AM

Thanks everybody. I told my daughter about all the response. She is going to pick me up at the airport and we will go straight to sr Harris since we will be the closest to them at that point. She wanted me to ask if anyone knew any good places to go in the Amish area of Southern Minnesota. Fabric for me but amish groceries, bulk food, etc. that's not priced for the tourists, mostly for the Amish. Thanks if anyone has any advice.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:14 PM

I live in Shakopee which is next to Prior Lake. We have a wonderful, beautiful quilt shop called Eagle Creek Quilt Shop. It is in the old downtown, and was the train station, vacant for many years, then turned into the quilt shop. So much fun. There is also Mill End in Eden Prairie-Chanhassen area. Chanhassen has a quilt shop also, but has relocated and I don't remember the new name. Have fun!