Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
a quilt featuring your home >

a quilt featuring your home

a quilt featuring your home

Old 12-03-2010, 08:57 PM

Has anyone ever made a house quilt that looks like your own house? Like an interpretation of a photo of your home? I'm tossing this around in the back of my mind for a future project and wondered if anyone has recommendations or tips to offer. Pictures of finished projects would be helpful (and fun) to see too.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:14 PM

I'm planning one for my DH. Have been told that they used a enlargement picture of the house and then drew it out on paper, and used that as the pattern for cutting and placing the material for appliquing it together. May friend has a projector that will show the picture on the wall and you can tape paper and draw it out. Can't start it yet until my 3 UFO's are done, but will bookmark this & keep you updated.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:18 PM

I want to do a house quilt and I will someday but don't have time now.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by smiles
I'm planning one for my DH. Have been told that they used a enlargement picture of the house and then drew it out on paper, and used that as the pattern for cutting and placing the material for appliquing it together. May friend has a projector that will show the picture on the wall and you can tape paper and draw it out. Can't start it yet until my 3 UFO's are done, but will bookmark this & keep you updated.
Thank you. I'd thought about enlarging but wasn't sure exactly how to go about it. I bet the library might have the right type of projector for this. Or maybe I could use tracing paper over a photograph to outline the shapes, then enlarge that on a copy machine?

Oooh, I just had another thought . . . I still have a drawing from the builder. It's a line drawing on a promo page that shows the floor plan. The details on the house aren't exact, but it would give the proper proportions. Hmmm.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:25 PM

I saw one at Lavender Lime quilt shop. Their sample even had the tire marks in the driveway. It was very interesting. They were having classes on how to do this. You may be able to get more information from them. www.lavenderlimeinspires.com
Old 12-03-2010, 09:34 PM

Thanks, Kat Sews. I'll check it out.