Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Frame Kits >

Quilt Frame Kits

Quilt Frame Kits

Old 08-22-2011, 08:47 PM

Do any of you have a quilt frame made from a Hinterberg Design Easy Build Quilt Frame Kit. My DH and FIL made me one a number of years ago and I was wondering about the poles. They are made of 1 1/4” conduit as directed in the instructions. However, they are heavy and hard to turn. Has any body made them out of some other material? I was thinking about pvc pipe, but my DH says it may not be strong enough when it's as long as the conduit. Any suggestions????
Old 08-22-2011, 09:22 PM

I don't have that type of frame. I have a handi quilter, but we changed out my poles to 1" conduit. I love them!
If yours are difficult to turn, could you perhaps change them out to 1" instead? I would be afraid the pvc pipe would break, but I could be wrong (would't be the first time)...good luck.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:40 PM

Try the Grace Frame company and see if you can buy a set of poles, new, from them. My frame has 1.25" poles but they are light weight aluminum.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:22 AM

There is now a thin wall metal conduit that weighs 40% less than the regular stuff. Might check that out at Lowe's or someplace similar.

Or ask an electrician if he knows of a source for 1¼" aluminum EMT (electrical metallic tubing) in the length you want.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:40 AM

Maybe you should check with Hinterberg. My frame is the Classic, and it came with wooden poles. They're heavy, but not hard to turn.

Janet
Old 08-23-2011, 04:51 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Toni-in-Texas
Do any of you have a quilt frame made from a Hinterberg Design Easy Build Quilt Frame Kit. My DH and FIL made me one a number of years ago and I was wondering about the poles. They are made of 1 1/4” conduit as directed in the instructions. However, they are heavy and hard to turn. Has any body made them out of some other material? I was thinking about pvc pipe, but my DH says it may not be strong enough when it's as long as the conduit. Any suggestions????
I have the Hinterberg Stretch frame and use the 1 1/4" conduit poles. Mine are very easy to turn. The turning ability is not a function of the poles, but a function of the end hardware. Do you have the knobs too tight. they have to be tight enough to hold the pole in place but loose enough to allow turning.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:46 PM

Thanks for all the advice. I appreciate you taking the time to answer.