Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilt in the freezer...

The fine lines in the roller ball pens are part of the attraction.

The multiplicity of colors is great, too.

I use both the highlighter types and the pens. I tested all the colors by scribbling heavily on white fabric, then ironing. There was a faint whitish remnant of the marks left, and when I froze the fabric, some of the color came back.

I hand-scrubbed the fabric briefly with a little detergent and pressed it dry and all of it was gone without a trace, even after re-freezing it.

Blog Entries
    I love them and since I'm not sending any quilts to Eskimos I won't worry about it. I figure that if my quilts or embroideried designs go to anyone suffering with that amount of coldness they won't look for marks.
    Judy

I love them because it is so easy to mark my quilts! I can take an iron to the marks and "Poof" ~ the marks are gone. If i make a mistake marking my quilt, I can take an iron to it, the marks disappear, and i can start again. I do wash my quilts before I give them away, and no one i know will refreeze the quilt.

In today's world, we use all kind of marking utensils that "disappear" w/ even just the air that we don't know if they're really "gone" or they just appear to be gone.
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

when I put mine back in the freezer after I washed mine, I didn't get any marks back

I tested them as well and I had different results. The pen marking was completely gone.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I want to know what your family thought when they opened the freezer! I'm pretty sure mine would make fun of me for that one!

Seriously, thanks for going to all the trouble to do an extensive test and report back to us all. Now everyone has good information to make their own personal decision with.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I accidentally used the Frixon pens on my Steam a Seam Lite 2 and ironed them and all my markings were gone and I was so upset, thinking I had to redo them all. I wrote about this on the board and someone smartly wrote me to stick them in the freezer. I did and all the markings came back and I was able to cut them all out. So, they have a second purpose. I will try and never use them for appliqueing again, but if I accidentally do, I know how to fix it.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Blog Entries
    My concern is that, if the marks still reappear (however faintly), it probably means that there is some remaining chemical left in the fibers which may or may not ever fully wash out, and these chemicals may cause the fabric to deteriorate faster over time. The chemicals in some of the old dye colors caused fabric to deteriorate, which is why quilts from a certain age will have shreds or holes where a certain color of fabric was used. I'm not enough of a chemist to know which chemicals might cause deterioration over time.

I love the frixion pens and use them all the time. I, too, always starch my fabric heavily that I'm drawing more on the starch than on the fabric. I also tried the test in the freezer and left it overnight..........not a mark could be found on it.
    When you sleep under a quilt, you sleep under a blanket of love.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    My concern is that, if the marks still reappear (however faintly), it probably means that there is some remaining chemical left in the fibers which may or may not ever fully wash out, and these chemicals may cause the fabric to deteriorate faster over time. The chemicals in some of the old dye colors caused fabric to deteriorate, which is why quilts from a certain age will have shreds or holes where a certain color of fabric was used. I'm not enough of a chemist to know which chemicals might cause deterioration over time.
    I agree completely with this. My concern isn't that I'm sending a quilt to an Eskimo who might see my quilt markings, my concern is what remains in the fibers after the ink is ironed "out".

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast