Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt group challenge >

Quilt group challenge

Quilt group challenge

Old 09-07-2013, 02:52 AM

Default Quilt group challenge

My quilt group has given us a challenge to make a 24" x 30" one block small quilt.
It can be any block you like - not necessarily a kaleidoscope one block wonder.
Because of the size - I wondered about a 6" log cabin - but what would you
do with that challenge ?
Thanks for any thoughts.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:33 AM

how about an enormous ten minut block and you can twiddle all those sections to do other things.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:56 AM

A 6" Drunkard's path block can be made into almost 100 different 4x4 patterns (arrangements) and many that work 4x5 as well. You could pick one you like and add a 3" border, top and bottom.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:05 AM

I might do a log cabin that is twisted so that it has more character to it and fits the rectangular size. I would also do it in bright funky fabrics. Enjoy your challenge.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:02 AM
Banned

Think about the words in the challenge. You said it is "a one block quilt 24" x 30" . It does not say...make a small quilt using one quilt block design....what would you design if you made "one block" that was 24 x 30 size. I did a guild challenge one time that the theme was circles. Instead of manking a double wedding reig I did a piece showing the circle of life of the butterfly...the challenge only said circles. So think bout what the words say .
Old 09-07-2013, 05:10 AM

I would just applique something! A pot of flowers. Of course you could do an Improv, just sew together odd ball scraps and TaDA!
Old 09-07-2013, 05:27 AM
Power Poster

I saw a wonderful Log Cabin quilt for a Veterans group in a recent The Quilt Life quilt magazine. I would post a picture but that would be a copywrite violation? It have off white Log Cabin blocks with a red heart outline in the center. The heart looked like a American flag kind of. I don't know if you could do that in a smaller log cabin scale but it was super.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:33 AM

I see Holice's point, but wonder about the non-square size. It seems to 'block' the challenge (pun intended) if a single block was the intent.

How about taking a four patch block that is made up of only HSTs, like Dutchman's Puzzle, and making a 6" log cabin block to use in place of each HST. You'd wind up with one block (the Dutchman's Puzzle) made from 16 other 'one' blocks (the Log Cabins). That would cover both possible interpretations of the challenge...or would it just be a two block quilt that way? And you'd still have to fudge the extra six inches.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:38 AM

Re: your log cabin idea

How about piecing a picture of a log cabin, in the middle of your log cabin block? By making the center picture rectangular, instead of square, you could easily obtain your 24" x 30", while keeping it just one block. Here's a block I made, years ago (for future sampler-type quilt). The block is actually square but I was holding camera at an angle, to eliminate a shadow. Anyway, you could make the center "picture" wider or taller, to turn it into a rectangle, then add as many rows of "logs" as you need, for size.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]434507[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails logcabinblock.jpg  
Old 09-07-2013, 10:58 AM

Default Modern block

Please excuse my drawing. The dark areas represent a medium or dark fabric and the white areas would be a light fabric. Just two colors are used. I saw a quilt in a Modern Quilt book a couple of years ago and fell in love with it. It is constructed the same way a log cabin quilt is constructed. The one I saw was in turquoise and white and was probably a lap size However, a person could draft out any size they wanted. I call it a square spiral. I found it just breathtaking, so clean and modern looking
Attached Thumbnails scan10024.jpg