Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Group or Guild >

Quilt Group or Guild

Quilt Group or Guild

Old 02-06-2011, 10:12 AM

I am retired and get so bored sometimes because I am not around other ladies. I have been mulling around starting a quilt group or guild and was wondering if you could give me some suggestions about how to start one. I don't really want it to be like a "club" more like a "get together", to discuss things, show and tell, help each other and things like that.

Thanks, Sissy
Old 02-06-2011, 10:17 AM
Power Poster

I would advertising it as a quilting group then, a guild is more like a club :wink:

Maybe advertise in your LQS, library, flyers in grocery stores. :D:D:D
Old 02-06-2011, 10:19 AM

We started a small group that meets once a month on Friday afternoons. Several of us quilt and some knit or embroidery. We each bring something to munch on and have coffee by the hostess. Members attend when they can and change once in awhile. Sometimes we work on one project and others we bring our own handwork. Usually meet from 1:30 to 4:00
Old 02-06-2011, 10:19 AM
Banned

Find a place, announce far and wide and they will come.
Initially just introduce around and ask eash to tell their experience with quiting. You might have a short demo of some kind, or pass out a paper giving hints about quilting.
Ask for show and tell. After a meeting or two in which you do all the ploanning, then ask if someone will do a demo at the next meeting. Ask if anyone wants to meet regularily for a "sew in bee" Eventually you might find the group will need a bit more structure to keep the interest going and the group alive. If the meeting place is free - so much the better but even churches and other pubic places have to pay the heat and lights so you might take up a donation for that or set a certain amount but low.
Ask to bring excess suppies for trade or to give away. And you are on your way.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:21 AM

Would put it in the local paper just saying that you would like to create a group of ladies interested in getting to gether for quilting. We have one that gets together & we are called a 'quilt club' since guilds have so much red tape to go thru from what I've heard. Maybe a local church or hall will offer the space for it if you get enough. I like the ones where we get together & sew more than I do just doing 'club' things. In a club, you have 2 or 3 members who are 'running' it & it is so hard to get others to be active with in put. I was club secretary, there was a treasurer & of course the president & vice president but getting others to share ideas or take over a meeting was like pulling teeth. A sew in is more friendly & no one has to run it. Good luck I know how you feel as I'm stuck out here in the country & not alot of contact with fellow quilters
Old 02-06-2011, 10:56 AM

that sounds like a blast
Old 02-06-2011, 11:01 AM

Set your ground rules for the group early so there are no surprises for new members. If you want a friendly group who is there to encourage and celebrate quilting then make that clear from the beginning that gossip and critizing members or their quilting efforts will not be tolerated. If you are a welcoming fun group, quilters will want to be there.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:06 AM

Good Luck on getting going, an informal group sounds like fun. Pot luck style.
Could be Squilter's "Loose Threads"
Old 02-06-2011, 11:47 AM
Banned

Another thought --- If you have a LQS or a local shop that sells sewing machines and gives classes you might find some ladies interested in forming a group. At our Babylock dealer, several ladies were in class together and they decided to form a monthly sew in. We meet at the shop and work to finish our UFOs and teach each other the techniques we are working on. So far, so good.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:44 PM

Check with your local sewing machine store. Both of mine have monthly clubs and you can probably find women within the club that have organized sewing days at a location or you will find others that are interested at these clubs. In one of my clubs, a wonderful woman opens up her house three days a week, if we want to come sew. Unbelievable, but wonderful.