Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt guild challenge >

quilt guild challenge

quilt guild challenge

Old 11-19-2010, 05:03 PM

One idea is for everyone to take an 8" block of their fabric choice to the guild meeting and exchange with someone (or several blocks and exchange with everyone). The idea is that the person on the receiving end takes the 8" block and uses fabric for their own stash to create a 12" block for the person(s). At a set time, everyone gets their blocks back. Some people got amazing thread painted artsy blocks, others got appliqued blocks, some were pieced, others paper pieced.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:12 PM

Oops! I was thinking guild activity. You said "challenge". Our guild does a theme challenge every year. Everyone who wants to participate pays a small fee for 3 fabrics (everyone gets the same fabrics) And it is a challenge to incorporate the 3 fabrics into the same quilt! The quilt must be at least 20 x 20. One year the challenge was that the quilt must have a house in it. Another year the theme was "Under the Sea". The entries were truly amazing! No one is to know which quilt belongs to whom; they are returned in a brown bag, then displayed and judged by the guild members. The winner gets a ribbon and $25, then there is a first and second places. Fun!
Old 11-19-2010, 05:20 PM

Our guild just finished up a holiday challenge - our chair had a selection of 3" squares - you got one at random for $1 - I think there were four different fabrics. Our challenge was to use this in whatever we wanted to create, but depicting a holiday carol.

There were lots of "O Christmas Tree's", "Jingle Bells", "Away in a Manger", and one "grandma got run over by a reindeer". We got to guess which songs were depicted.

Some were then donated to our mini-quilts going to our soldiers stationed overseas.

We had a whole series last year, to generate entries for our guild quilt show - I loved the 'Idiom' challenge - I was working on "Fork in the Road" but didn't get it done :(

Fork in the Road
[ATTACH=CONFIG]129734[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-129729.jpe  
Old 11-19-2010, 05:27 PM

Our guild is doing the same paint chip challenge except we can add three additional colors.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:29 PM

That is what our guild did for this year, for our Christmas Party.
Originally Posted by Sandi19
Does anyone have a good idea for a quilt challenge for my guild? This year we each brought a half yard of "ugly" fabric in a paper bag. We turned in our bag and chose another. Then we made whatever we wanted....small quilt, bag, wall hanging, etc. We had to use all of the ugly fabric.
I need an idea for next year. Have you tried something fun with your guild that you would be willing to share with me? I want it to be fun, and also easy enough for our beginners to participate.
Thanks for any ideas you can give me.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:21 AM

This year we were all given the same pattern for a fifty-four inch square quilt. Each of us could choose two colors, all six fabrics must have both of those colors, and only those two--no bits of green leaves in a blue and white design, for instance. Made shopping very interesting. Plus, there were specifics about the various fabrics--one of the darks had to have a large design, for example.
We were given the pattern in September, and must present a finished item for our local fair next August.
Try that one on, for size!! piecefully, the old one
Old 11-20-2010, 05:23 AM

One guild I was in did the initial challenge. We could use only 3 colors in quilt, although we could use lots of shades. Colors had to relate to your initials. And at least 3 techniques had to be used in quilt, pieced applique, embellished etc.

My initials are cll so my quilt was cobalt, lime and lilac. Some got creative with colors,you can find so many color names on internet. I used paper piecing, applique, beading, and curved borders. That was a fun challenge.

One year it was a theme challenge, to represent earth , wind and fire.

Just some ideas for you. We had a group that would read books then make quilt themed for book.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:13 AM

The challenge I most enjoyed over the years was when the president of one of my guilds announced the challenge would be "Quilt a Tune." That, and that it be three layers (a quilt) and completed, was the only requirement. At the end of the year, it really was fascinating to see the many different takes on that one phrase.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:53 AM

We did a challenge where we each received 4 pieces of fabric (about 1/8 to 1/4 yd each). We were told we could add only one more color of our choice. We could make anything we wanted. We all had the same kind of 4 pieces. It was amazing how much difference there was in all the pieces. Most of us made a lap quilt or table topper. Anything could be made or you could stipulate that it has to be made in a large square and have all the squares joined with sashing in between.

Quote=Sandi19]Does anyone have a good idea for a quilt challenge for my guild? This year we each brought a half yard of "ugly" fabric in a paper bag. We turned in our bag and chose another. Then we made whatever we wanted....small quilt, bag, wall hanging, etc. We had to use all of the ugly fabric.
I need an idea for next year. Have you tried something fun with your guild that you would be willing to share with me? I want it to be fun, and also easy enough for our beginners to participate.
Thanks for any ideas you can give me.[/quote]
Old 11-20-2010, 10:17 AM

I have been in a couple challenges that were song titles. You made a small piece that represented a song. Guild members voted to pick the best quilt. There was also a game played to see who could guess the most correct song titles that the quilts represented. I did 99 Bottles of Beer on the wall for one of them.