Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Guilds - What are your experiences? >

Quilt Guilds - What are your experiences?

Quilt Guilds - What are your experiences?

Old 08-03-2011, 12:39 PM

I have been in two, the first one everyone was nice and seemed to get along and share things.
second one different story, at my second meeting the group of quilters I sat with talked among themselves all during a demonstration by one of the members and put her down, before they started the negative comments I tried to have a conversation with them and they just sort of ignored me. I decided that that was not the kind of a sisterhood group I wanted to be in and never went back. So it can be good or bad, hopefully it won't be a very large one you want to join. I also found lots of quilt police in the guilds. Not trying to be negative, I just had a bad experience
Old 08-03-2011, 01:09 PM

I belong to three guilds and all are very good. Every member has input and we all share ideas. I did drop one guild a few years back, too persnickety for my taste........ if you dont like one, there are many others....only way to find out is to go to a few meetings and see how it goes.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:11 PM

Our Guild is a wonderful place to socialize with other quilters, learn new techniques and share our beautiful pieces of work. Sure there are cliques of the "Old Hat" group, but most are friendly and very helpful. Besides, we do a lot of charity work that I love participating in
Old 08-03-2011, 01:51 PM

I belonged to a guild several years ago. While everyone seemed friendly, there were definitely cliques. Because I have lived in the area all my life and knew quite a few members, I thought it would be more fun. No, still too many cliques, so I quit going. I also don't like the idea of being pressured to be an officer! I am very uncomfortable with that.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by quilter1
Sorry to say that I have not had a good experience with our local guild. The people are in little cliques and really don't want newcomers. I attended for 2 years and tried hard to become part of the group, I even went on 2 trips with them. Then at the next meeting, it was like nobody knew who I was. I quit the guild and now quilt on my own. Their loss. This group here is my guild.
Same here.....the women had known each other for years and I've only been here for 18 years.....go figure. Gave it 2 years and said the heck with it. How can women be so unwelcoming? Southern hospitality isn't what it's touted to be but any of you would be warmly welcomed in my home......a yankee in Fl.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:34 PM

Went to my first guild meeting last evening and had a wonderful time. I met a couple of our quilt board members there and the ladies of the guild were all welcoming and glad to see new faces. One memeber gave a wonderful trunk show and history lesson on quilts. I even went to the library today to pick up one of the books she talked of. Anything Oregon Trail history related and i'm reading it.

I will go back to another meeting or two before I decide to actually join but so far it is looking really good.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by valsma
Went to my first guild meeting last evening and had a wonderful time. I met a couple of our quilt board members there and the ladies of the guild were all welcoming and glad to see new faces. One memeber gave a wonderful trunk show and history lesson on quilts. I even went to the library today to pick up one of the books she talked of. Anything Oregon Trail history related and i'm reading it.

I will go back to another meeting or two before I decide to actually join but so far it is looking really good.
DITTO!
Old 08-03-2011, 02:59 PM

I was invited to come to the Quilt Guild in Port Lavaca Texas. I was buying fabric and 2 ladies asked what I was buy for a Quilt? I said no I was making sweatshirt jackets. They asked me to bring one for show and tell the next week. Being in Texas just for the winter I wondered how I would be received. But I never met any more friendly group of ladies and have given 2 class. I have made some really good friends and have even helped out at the quilt shop in town. Lots of good fun and always some one wanting to talk about fabric and quilts. I'm learning a lot.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:09 PM

I went with a friend and joined. Then Sharon from this board put together a shop hop for our fellow Michigan board members and talked highly of the guild close to me. I joined that guild, too. Both guilds have welcome me with open arms and are willing to share their knowledge. I sure that the members will welcome you as I have not met any quilter that is mean spirited.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:33 PM

Just like any organization, guilds are made up of people. No two people are alike. The fun of the guild is being with people who share your same interests and who are always ready to encourage, inspire and teach (which is to give a part of yourself). Wish you were closer to California. We have a wonderful group so take the step. You just never know how many friends you will make.