Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilt history book

Hi, I've recently got very interested in quilting history - can anyone recommend a good one that also has patterns in it?
    Thanks

Banned
    The books I have either contain history or patterns. Some newer one may have some patterns such as Barbara Brackman's books. I believe you will have to choose one or the other
    Look for "History of the Patchwork Quilt", then Brackman's Encyclopedia of Pieces Patterns. She also has one for Applique. For each pattern in these books she gives the sources for the patterns going waaaaaaaaaaaay back.

There is also a yahoo group Quilt History List (QHL) that you might check out. Lots of interesting information posted by the members.

Search Amazon.com for "History of the Patchwork Quilt" There are several books listed there at reasonable price. Some you might be interested in do have some patterns.

MTS
    Banned
    No patterns, but great inspiration.

One of my favorite books is
    Quilts Around the World: The Story of Quilting from Alabama to Zimbabwe
    http://www.amazon.com/Quilts-Around-...6879748&sr=8-3

US, Europe, LatAm, Africa, Australia - beautiful pictures and background of the quilting/patchwork traditions in each place.

I love that book. The pictures are gorgeous and it is fascinating too. Is there anything with patterns too?

Here are some (many) suggestions from quilt historians themselves:
    http://www.quilthistory.com/resources.htm