Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt idea >

quilt idea

quilt idea

Old 11-12-2016, 09:05 AM
Power Poster

A friend of mine used to belong to the "Needlework Nellie Belles". It had a ring to it. They just took all kinds of needle work and did a few things for charities. They met at an old community building that many had talked about tearing down. They made an agreement with the small town council to be able to use it for free as long as it wasn't booked for another event. They would keep the place maintained. It was about the size of a 4 car garage. One roofer donated extra roofing squares and did a sewing machine and needle design on it encircled with a heart. Had a kitchen and bath donated by one of the gals plumber husband. Everything was donated. The gals made curtains. It was cute. Electric baseboard heat kept the place warm and some had space heaters. It was used for many family gatherings and some other celebrations which helped with cost. They never allowed smoking but because of it's location a brushfire took it down. They chosenot to rebuild since the original members were in their 60s and the younger ones were moving out of town. great while it lasted.
Old 11-18-2016, 05:47 PM

I started a group in small town at my church hall. Started with donated used pillowcases making dresses then added boys shorts. Donations came in that we're quilt projects so I mainly took those to do there. Go south in winter but group still sews most Wed.
We put things in a used suitcase and will pay for missionary to take for personal delivery.
So far we have sent things to 9 different countries . In Sept . 3 suitcases went to different areas in Brazil. I felt so proud because these 3 people were so glad to get hats too. We have received photos showing kids wearing these garments. Unfortunately these clothes to needy children are all summer wear . Know that Can. -and USA. Kids
probably wouldn't wear them but we have seen same styles in stores for big prices. Have less than 10 people involved in this group but few ladies knit things at home. We donate to 4 local charity groups too.
I consider this KNOX FROX group to be my legacy