Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt ideas for bandanas >

quilt ideas for bandanas

quilt ideas for bandanas

Old 08-26-2014, 05:24 PM

Default quilt ideas for bandanas

Does anyone have any ideas or pattern that I could use to make a quilt out of bandanas?
Old 08-26-2014, 05:51 PM

Antoinette, most bandanas I've had were pretty low quality fabric. Do you have a source for nice reasonably heavy cotton ones?
Old 08-26-2014, 06:21 PM

If yours are thin, use some kind of interfacing on them such as Pellon SF101. I repaired a quilt for a former co-worker that she had made out of various Harley Davidson bandanas. She had made the quilt for her daughter about 15 years ago and many of the bandanas had frayed and pulled out of the seams. Her daughter had collected them from different states that she had visited while traveling on her motorcycle. I had to completely take the quilt apart and interface each bandana with the Pellon and essentially re-piece the quilt top. It was quite the task but when I was done, her daughter essentially had a brand new quilt!
Old 08-26-2014, 07:19 PM

Go to Yahoo.com and search for Bandana quilt images. You could probably do the same with Google. Most of the quilts are very simple, just sewing the sides together as blocks. The quilts look simple, easy, pretty. What more could you ask for??
Old 08-26-2014, 08:22 PM

I like this one http://www.pinterest.com/pin/163396292703582176/
Old 08-27-2014, 06:13 AM

What about something like a rag quilt/faux cathedral window? Take the bandana, place it down diagonally. Put a square of batting and a square of fabric (like a solid) on the diagonal bandana so it looks like a square in a square. The square on top would need to smaller than a full square in a square. Stitch two of these together, bandana sides together. Top stitch to hide the seam. Tie the triangle edges of the bandanas together.

This can be tested by making a single square. You can verify that the square is the right size to be able to tie the corners of the bandana together.

I hope this makes sense. I'd have to make a square to photograph it.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:45 AM

I made a wall hanging with pinwheels using a bandana material charm pack. Paired with white, the pinwheels really made the bandana fabric stand out. Here's a pic of the wall hanging. You could use different size pinwheels too. Maybe make a larger pinwheel in the center with smaller pinwheel squares around it...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]489310[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails pinwheels.jpg  
Old 08-27-2014, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by SusanErler View Post
I made a wall hanging with pinwheels using a bandana material charm pack. Paired with white, the pinwheels really made the bandana fabric stand out. Here's a pic of the wall hanging. You could use different size pinwheels too. Maybe make a larger pinwheel in the center with smaller pinwheel squares around it...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]489310[/ATTACH]
SEW very cute. I really like this.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:06 AM

Thank you for the ideas for the bandanas. Someone I work with asked me to make it for her. She is supplying the bandanas, so I am sure they are the thin ones. Thank you for the pellon suggestion, I was worried about the thinness of them. LOVE the pinwheel idea did you back the bandanas with pellon? You are all wonderful!!!
Old 08-28-2014, 10:10 AM

The girl who wants me to make the quilt is supplying the bandanas so I am sure they are the thin ones.