Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt information sheet >

Quilt information sheet

Quilt information sheet

Old 06-25-2009, 01:21 PM

Maybe location, especially if you end up moving around.

What type of thread for the quilting?

If you made it with someone else, record that.

It's all about details, no matter how minor it may seem. You can't over document imo, however it'll be what you want to include on your record of each quilt.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:21 PM

Ok... no start date seems to be the choice for most. I think I would want to know, and maybe someone in the future would too. "Wow, look at this one! GGGrandma spent 3 years on this one!" :lol:

All great suggestions and I'm working on it. Been browsing border and edge designs, format styles, etc. I'm at work though and all the thiings I find online at MS are for Word 2007. I have that at home but not at work.

I would add a digital picture and an export of the final design from EQ6 if that was used. I added a box for fabric swatches and a framed box for Inspiration and other notes.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:25 PM
Power Poster

So when are these going to be available please?
Old 06-25-2009, 07:54 PM
Power Poster

I like the idea of documenting where all it was worked on. The thought of future generations reading that great great grandma worked on this at home, while camping, took it to her grandma's while on vacation 3 states away, and it moved with her across the USA, just adds more history to the quilt. I like the idea of a youngin' cuddled up in my quilt thinking about me and the whole journey/history of their quilt from start to finish...maybe even some blank spots to have others write down when they received it and who it went to after them, keeping the record going like you would a family bible.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:20 AM
k3n
Power Poster

The quilt exhibition I went to in Holland a while back displayed some quilt journals from the 19th C - they included little stamp size swatches of the fabrics used. It was amazing to see that swatch, protected by being in the pages of a book, alongside the quilt which had been out in the light, washed and used! The colours were as fresh as the day they were printed! But maybe our modern fabrics won't fade as much - only time will tell!

Obviously, the entries were hand written - that was beautiful to see as well - although I couldn't read them because they were in Dutch!
Old 06-26-2009, 05:26 AM
Power Poster

with a family heirloom...and document being read by future generations quilter,...I know I would relish ANY information, down to, what may seem like trivial information...links to the past.
And that includes HOW LONG IT TOOK :roll: , I would want to know that if it was a slow process, that meant the original quilter was quite dedicated to getting it finished.
I love the idea about current events being added, while it was being made. I too, like to record stumbling blocks I had, and ways I overcame them, for next time.
Some notes about what the quilter was feeling/thinking about this quilt, while making it...their musings, what music they listened to while sewing...I love all that. :D
Old 06-26-2009, 05:31 AM
Power Poster

yes, true to form, if I do this kind of thing, and I just might...mine would be more like a small book about the quilt :lol:
(but who among us, wouldn't love to get something like that, along with a quilt/gift?)
Old 06-26-2009, 05:51 AM

I would love to know EVERYTHING I could about a couple of quilts of my grandmother's and great-grandmother's that I have.

You can do it in any way but I think that the form will help me. I went back to the beginning of this year and printed all of the online receipts for fabric and other purchases. I'll have to go through them and sort them into which quilt. I brought a binder home from work yesterday (always emails going out for people to take some), has a bunch of dividers though I threw out the old contents.

I didn't work on the form last night but I definately will this weekend. I'll put in all the suggestions and you can take out, or change headings, to what is important to you. I can run it by my oldest daughter since she is more into graphic design and might have a better eye for a document than I do.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:51 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
yes, true to form, if I do this kind of thing, and I just might...mine would be more like a small book about the quilt :lol:
(but who among us, wouldn't love to get something like that, along with a quilt/gift?)
I know I would! :wink: :D
Old 06-26-2009, 07:37 AM
Power Poster

My goal is to leave each of my kids and grands (atleast) a wonderful quilt to hang onto. They are getting throw arounds now, as I practice on different patterns. But the "keepers" I would love to give them a mini book along with their quilts. I like the idea of keeping a notebook close by and writing down what I am thinking, especially about each individual, as I am making their quilts. Maybe it would be more like diary entries in my case... You all have given me a lot to think about in this area!!!! :D :D :D