Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilt for Kids....

I saw where a poster was so excited to get their kit for the quilt. I had to look up to see what Quilt for Kids was all about. That is an awesome idea. I checked and we have no chapter close to us. We had two of our children that were in the NICU, Kenny for 3 weeks and Jimmy for 4 months. They did such an awesome job with both babies..but mainly Jimmy as he was very seriously ill and they never thought he would live to be a teen (he is now 24 and married) and I would love to make them some as a Thank You for all they did for us and what they do for others. Has anyone done this on their own before?

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    I've made them and added them to ones from our church. They blessed them and then donated them :)

Blog Entries
    You don't need a local chapter to participate in QFK. If you look on their website you can contact them and they will send you a kit. http://www.quiltsforkids.org/
    They can also send info if you are interested in starting a chapter in your area.

If you call your local hospital or the hospital you want to donate your quilts too, call the volunteer rep. They can tell you if they accept donations from individuals or if they only accept things like that through an organization.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mythreesuns
    I saw where a poster was so excited to get their kit for the quilt. I had to look up to see what Quilt for Kids was all about. That is an awesome idea. I checked and we have no chapter close to us. We had two of our children that were in the NICU, Kenny for 3 weeks and Jimmy for 4 months. They did such an awesome job with both babies..but mainly Jimmy as he was very seriously ill and they never thought he would live to be a teen (he is now 24 and married) and I would love to make them some as a Thank You for all they did for us and what they do for others. Has anyone done this on their own before?
    I have made 5 so far and am now making more. I love the organization. You don't have to have a chapter close to you. Just order a kit, then make a couple from your stash and send them to the main headquarters in PA. Right now they have a need for quilts for teenage boys, so I am making about 5 for them. I also make things for Childrens Hosp of Phila in the name of my neighbors best friend who lost a baby at 9 months after spending many months in their NICU.

I created my own quilts using a pattern I got off the Quilts for Kids web-site and sent the quilts into the headquarters office. They'll send it whereever it's needed.

These are so great. Check to see if the hospital you would like to be donated to is on their list. I know our Childrens hospital is not on the list so if we want them to get them we take them directly there. You can't go wrong either way. The fact that they will send the fabric helps many new quilters dare take the plunge.