Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilt for a kindergarten teacher

Quilt for a kindergarten teacher

My grandaughter is in kindergarten. I would like each student in the class to draw a square for the teacher's quilt. I can use some ideas. I have thought of putting freezer paper on the back of each muslin square and asking the children not to color right to the edge. Your suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks...

What about hand prints from each child on their square? You could print their name under the print.
    Linda

in the past, I've backed the squares with freezer paper and drawn an outline around the block the size I want the kids to use. By this time in kindergarten, they'll know to stay in the lines. And you can use crayola crayons which become permanent after heat setting (use a paper towel to protect your iron). You can also use gelly roll pens which come in a ton of colors and average $2 or thereabouts each.

I too, had the children draw their handprints with crayolas and ironed them to heat set. They also printed their own names. I used "to dye for" white fabric.
    A border drawn on the freezer paper is an excellent idea and make your borders wider than you want.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

Have the kids each draw a picture of what they like best about kindergarten or their teacher
    and write their name under it. Then stitch over their name so it will be in their handwriting on the blocks.

you may want to draw a border on the fabric so the kids stay within the boundaries. Before i was a quilter, i had may class draw quilt squares. I had no idea of the importance of leaving a seam allowance/border. Needless to say, part of the drawings had to be cut off. the kids were kinda sad about that.

exactly what was said above.....Add a line that you want the kids to stay inside of. They won't understand what "Don't color to the edge" means....
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

You can also use pictures in a coloring book. I purchased a farm book (being in a farming area) with just easy to color
    large animals. It also has flowers & Veggies. A child can pick out what interests them the most.

Thanks for all of the great ideas.... I feel much more confident about doing this project.... Thanks....