Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt kits -- cheaper to build your own? >

Quilt kits -- cheaper to build your own?

Quilt kits -- cheaper to build your own?

Old 12-16-2012, 01:59 PM

It is a beautiful quilt and I to would be tempted. I find that BOM quilts are particularly expensive and if you order over the phone or the internet there is the added cost of shipping. Sometimes shipping is less expensive if you can order all the BOM's at once. If you love it and can afford it - treat yourself. Unfortunately, I can't let myself be tempted I have way too many kits sitting on the shelf.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:27 PM

I have never bought a kit. I would rather buy the yardage because I know I would mess something up and run short on fabric.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:47 PM

I finally just treated myself to buying the fabric kit to go along with a pattern that I just had to have. It wasn't quite as pricey as yours, but yours will be a show piece when you finsh it. I just kept remembering go from shop to shop and searching the internet for other special fabric and quilts that I fell in love with and decided to go for it. I hope you will, too. It is so beautiful and you can spend your time working on it, rather than chasing down the fabric.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:55 PM

A lot of quilt shops only carry part of a fabric line...if you love that fabric it may be difficult to find all the pieces.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:02 PM

I think this is a beautiful quilt and fabrics as well. $390 plus batting for a queensize quilt sounds about right to me. Yes you can do it cheaper and clip coupons till the cows come home, but would it be the same? I had almost that in the last queen size quilt I made. I have had nothing but positive experiences with the quilt kits I have bought. They were always really generous with the fabric as well. Plus the variety of fabrics was so great. Maybe Santa could help you out? If you can afford it go for it. Make it a queen because these odd size quilts that don't tuck in aren't very useful. In my own humble opinion.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:03 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I am the quilt kit queen. I love quilt kits. I go to stores and if i see a quilt on a wall I like, I ask the people there to help me make a kit just like it. I love when they have a kit of it. Usually when I buy a kit, I have extra fabric for each piece. I have never ever had the exact amount. It's always over. I always have a stash at the end. I don't like spending the time looking for all the fabric to make a quilt. I'm not great at picking out the fabrics that go together well. I just don't have an eye for it. I've done it and usually end up not liking my quilt. That's why I like quilt kits. I never buy expensive kits. I buy kits I can afford. Usually I have to purchase the back myself. I also do BOMs. I feel like I pay way too much for those. I did one and it was ridiculous how little fabric I received each month for $25.00. What a rip off. I'll never buy from that company again. But I don't feel that way about quilt kits at all. I buy them at LQS all the time. Usually the owner makes them up and doesn't make any extra for all the work she does. She's just trying to get rid of some of her fabric she has had around for a while and I always like what she's made up. JMO.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:53 PM

I have bought quite a bit of fabric on Ebay, but never thought to search kits...HHHHMMMMM...something to do tonight??
Old 12-16-2012, 06:52 PM

I worked at a quilt shop for a while. Here is a little on the back side that no one sees. The owners have to consider the labor cost of cutting the fabric and preparing the kit. When creating a kit, you have to pull all the fabrics, decided how many kits to make, figure out the minimum amount of fabric for the kit, compute how much yardage is required to cut for example 600 5" blocks of twenty different fabrics, cut the fabric, separate it into each kit (hoping you don't leave anything out because of the phone calls or customers you are helping while doing this), arrange the fabric in an appealing way, print the fabric list for the package, compute the cost per kit, add in labor, price them, package them and put them on the shelves. When I purchase a kit I always check the fabric before setting in my to do box. As someone who did put kits together, I made the mistake of leaving a piece or two out of a kit. It happens. We are human. Especially when you are putting together 30 kits with say 30 different pieces of fabric. You have to look at a kit a couple of different ways. It is similar to purchasing an item from the grocery store or the convenience store. You will pay a higher price at Walgreens than say Publix. It is called "convenience" store. On the second hand: Say you have a wall hanging with 20 5" squares. You are paying for these 5" squares in 20 different colors rather than purchasing a minimum 1/8 of a yard (which is the minimum that most quilt shops sell) or a fat quarter. Add up the difference and purchasing separately adds up. Therefore the kit can be a better price. For me, I usually love the original colors in the sample and don't want to have to think about putting it together myself. Even if they sit in my to do box for a few years. I also recommend purchasing the backing at the same time or soon after. We all know what is popular today is gone tomorrow. Enjoy!
Old 12-16-2012, 07:07 PM

If you want the exact fabrics as in the photo, it is usually cheaper to just buy the kit. If you are willing to substitute some or all of the fabrics, then it is cheaper for you to do so.

In many cases, you can't get all the fabrics at only one store. That means more expenditure in time, gas and/or shipping charges. What you are linking to is a BOM rather than a 'kit' and nearly always, you can save a lot in shipping if you just get the pattern and choose similar fabrics from one or two locations. BOMs include monthly shipping costs and often have a more significant markup.

Now, you may have trouble finding the pattern - that is often due to licensing during the course of these BOMs. If you are willing to wait a year or two, the pattern will become available. The question is 'will you still love it' in two years? If so, buy the fabric now and wait for the pattern. If not, be ready to buy a different color combo because color palettes seem to change every couple of years.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:13 PM

I buy a lot of kits but mostly from yahoo groups by people who bought them and don't want them anymore (lot cheaper) or on clearance from the online shops. The only kit I bought full price was the Christmas Baltimore which I am dying to start. Some of the kits have only the yardage required and some, others have the pcs cut also which makes the quilt top go fast. In all cases kits are more expensive because the makers calculate the cost of cutting. I found the per yard math in a kit to be at least $12/yard.
You honestly have to try one kit and see how you like it then start shopping the smart way for what catches your eyes. I love the fabric choices in these kits and it helps when I need to make a fast gift and don't have time to chose and decide on fabric and pattern.
One more thing I found out when I make a Fons and porter kit they have more fabric in the kit that what the pattern needs. I bought one for my son called the lightening strikes which calls for full but made it little bigger than queen and the fabric was big enough and turned out beautiful.