Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Kits: Friend or Foe? >

Quilt Kits: Friend or Foe?

Quilt Kits: Friend or Foe?

Old 06-20-2010, 05:17 PM

I purchased a quilt kit for my grandson from my LQS. The fabrics looked adorable, they were cowboy themed. I have had it for about 2 weeks now. I washed the fabrics, ironed them, and cut them out using the "Take 5" pattern. As I was hanging them on the design wall when I realized I did not like the fabric at all. They may have looked good folded together, but on the wall it looked horrible. I call my DD over to let her take a look just to see if I was being over critical. My DD took one look at it and said the same thing I had been thinking all along. I am really upset with myself. I am on a very tight budget and the fabric costs $65.00 for the kit not including the pattern which was $8.00. This was the first time I purchased a quilt kit, I'm not sure I will do it again. Has anyone else ever been in this situation? Now I am back searching for new fabric and a new pattern. This is going to take a lot longer than I thought.

Thank you for reading (listening) , I just needed to vent. :cry:
Old 06-20-2010, 05:27 PM

I bought a kit a few months ago and I loved it, but still have NOT gotten to it, the other day i looked at the fabric and thought the same thing...NOT exactly what i wanted.

I feel for you, and it is a shame to have spent your time and money....

So i am in the fan club of FOE
Old 06-20-2010, 05:32 PM

Usually kits have a photo of the finished top, so it really shouldn't come as any surprise?? I like to use fabric from my stash or pick my own, so I've only bought one Halloween kit. Generally, I wouldn't buy a kit unless I absolutely loved it. I'm not a friend or a foe, I think I'm neutral:>
Old 06-20-2010, 05:36 PM

I bought a pre-cut kit from Hearthside Quilts (not affiliated) The fabric was somewhere between quilt shop quality and WalMart's. It was cut on straight of grain. They were generous with fabrics and lining. I'll do it again. Silvia
Old 06-20-2010, 05:39 PM
Power Poster

I buy lots of kits from Connecting Threads and the colors are true to the picture. And they always send extra fabric. I have never been disappointed.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:40 PM

I've never bought a kit before because I like to pick my own fabrics & pattern. It's usually cheaper doing it this way too! I'm neutral!!
Old 06-20-2010, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
Usually kits have a photo of the finished top, so it really shouldn't come as any surprise??

Maybe that was one problem. No picture! They just went by the picture on the pattern which had different types of fabric. That's the way they sell all of their quilt kits.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:44 PM

Yes, there usually is a picture on the package, but with photo enhancement, position of quilt and the like, sometimes you really can get fooled. If you like the pattern of the quilt, just find different fabric. I very rarely buy a kit. For one, I don't trust that all the fabric is in the kit. Also, once you square up the fabric there may not be enough for the pattern. I've had that happen way too many times. Personally, I prefer to either use a pattern I already have or purchase a new pattern and buy my own fabrics. Most of the time, the kit fabrics just don't have the WOW factor I want in a quilt.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:45 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by littlehud
I buy lots of kits from Connecting Threads and the colors are true to the picture. And they always send extra fabric. I have never been disappointed.
Glad to hear b/c I want a kit from them so badly!! It's one of those kits in the Canning collection called Lazy Daisies something....
It is so yummy!!
Never bought a kit before but this one jumped out at me :D
Old 06-20-2010, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
Usually kits have a photo of the finished top, so it really shouldn't come as any surprise?? I like to use fabric from my stash or pick my own, so I've only bought one Halloween kit. Generally, I wouldn't buy a kit unless I absolutely loved it. I'm not a friend or a foe, I think I'm neutral:>
My problem has been with kits that don't use fabrics anything like the ones in the photos. The worst was a kit from a fairly well known designer. The colors in the photo were blues, rusts and golds - a perfect match for our decor, whereas the kit I received contained all browns and greys. I called and spoke to the designer directly and she couldn't understand why I was upset over the drastic difference :roll: