Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt kits >

quilt kits

quilt kits

Old 11-22-2011, 05:25 PM

I bought a kit at a quilt store in NH it was actually a quilt in the Fon's and Porter magazine I got all the fabric already#and labeled for $49.50 for a twin sized quilt. I don't know if thats a good price or not for the kit, I have never bought one online I'm always worried what if I don't like the colors when it gets here.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:27 AM

I always end up buying more yardage than the pattern calls for as I'm a little worried I'll make a mistake and the fabric won't be available--so it makes it more expensive--BUT I'm building a great stash! I am going to make one of the free Jinny Beyer block barguello quilts for my son's wedding and needed 17 fabrics--and with some color requests like teal and violet--two that are real easy to match--NOT! I managed to get about 12 from my LQG and other sources but then got stuck. Luckily, Jinny Beyer had a 15% off sale and I found 5 fabrics to finish this off--and they all came out exactly the colors I needed and great fabric--so excited to start cutting in after Christmas.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:39 AM

The kits are the way to go if you want a quilt that matches the sample as closely as possible. Whether it saves you money or not depends on how well stocked your local quilt shop is. Even with both of the two quilt shops closest to me, I would be struggling to get all the fabrics I needed for some of those kits - they just don't have the ranges of fabrics. I'd be forced to spend money on gas looking at shops further afield or having to guess colors by shopping online. However, if I was going to Grubers, no problem. Well stocked with lots of different fabrics, not just different colors.

These days, gas has to be figured in to your costs as well. Up to you. If my interest in the quilt was the pattern of the fabric and colors, I'd go for the kit. The two that I got in the past were well cut - no off grain. Please note - my comments all refer to Keepsake Quilting. I agree with other posters. Some BOMs from other places have used fabric that really isn't quilt shop quality. In addition, if you are willing to wait, the pattern often becomes available as a pattern only about a year after the BOM ends. Then you can use your own fabric.

Last edited by IAmCatOwned; 11-23-2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:00 AM

Default quilt kit

I have not received this kit yet, but the quilt was advertized in McCall's Quick Quilts Dec/Jan 2012. The pattern gave the name of the line and the designer. I could not find the material anywhere on line. Boy was I disappointed, and mad. Then before complaining I went back to the photos/description in the magazine and found a box in the corner that I had not noticed previously that gave you an opportunity to buy a kit. My daughter loves the subject so I took a chance and ordered the kit. Now I am waiting its delivery. Of course I have not felt the quality of the fabric so that is a concern. So here's hoping that it will be okay.