Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt kits >

Quilt kits

Quilt kits

Old 01-01-2014, 01:17 AM

Default Quilt kits

Not sure if right place.
I have never purchased a quilt kit. I assume it contains pattern instructions and fabric. My question is. Do they cut the fabric to size or just stripes with enough fabric in.?

Thinking of buying a bargello kit.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:54 AM

The kits I have bought have the fabric in pieces so you measure and cut the correct sizes yourself. Happy New Year to you.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:08 AM
Power Poster

always read the 'contents', description- some places actually sell kits that do not include the pattern. but often you will find the pattern, fabric for the top & the binding included. you cut your own pieces- *most* kit creators are fairly generous with the fabrics so you have enough if you make a cutting error....but not all- occasionally you will find kits with 'pre-cut' pieces- those kits tend to cost a lot more than other kits. ... just read through the description & know what is included before spending the money. kit's can be a fun way to go at times (*although for me more often than not I get a kit, decide I want to use different fabrics- wind up pulling from my stash & putting the kit fabric into my stash...just me) I've used a couple cute kits from 'Connecting Threads' that were reasonably priced and made cute quilts- had plenty of fabrics/left overs to add to the scrap piles.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:44 AM
Power Poster

Ditto to what CKCowl said ... read the contents and verify if you are unsure.

Sometimes the pattern is not included, knowing that the potential buyers might already have the pattern and thus, would not want/need a second one.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:53 AM

Google "pre-cut quilt kits" and you will find many beautiful kits. Yes they are already cut and fit together with no problems. I have bought two and enjoy the fact of not having to measure and cut for a change. Give it a try!
Old 01-01-2014, 05:59 AM

The first kit I ever bought was many years ago, maybe 25/30. I bought it because it had all the colors of fabric that I wanted...living in a small town, availability was scarce.
It was the school house pattern and turned out beautiful! But, for sure, I would have been in trouble if had made a cutting mistake! Just barely enough. I still have that quilt hanging in my living room. Though faded, I still get nice comments on it.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:08 AM

The only kit Ive bought was batik fabrics. It has been several years and have only made three blocks. So glad it is batiks as no problem getting more fabric to match if there is not enough. Batiks don't have to match perfect so wont be a problem adding new fabrics.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:31 AM

I have only bought two kits and haven't made them yet, but read the description of the kit carefully. Some don't include the pattern and a lot don't include the backing. You don't want any surprises when making the quilt. Sometimes a kit is a good idea if you don't want to match colors IMHO. Personally, I think some kits are too expensive. I'm not saying they aren't worth it, just very expensive. Now that I'm thinking about it--quilting isn't a cheap hobby, is it?
Sue
Old 01-01-2014, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

and never wash the fabric included. they usually don't give you a lot and if it shrinks which it most likely will, you may end up short. Ask me how I know!
Old 01-01-2014, 02:09 PM
Power Poster

I believe Connecting Threads kits provide pattern and fabric, but the fabric is not pre-cut. At least, that's how it was with the one kit I ordered. They are generous with the fabric, which is great, and I love the way the quilt turned out.

Just be aware that some kits come with pre-cut pieces and some don't. You need to determine which is which before you order.