Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt, Knit, Sew - Portland >

Quilt, Knit, Sew - Portland

Quilt, Knit, Sew - Portland

Old 08-15-2014, 04:42 PM

Default Quilt, Knit, Sew - Portland

Anyone else go to this show? My niece and I went today and it was fabulous.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:54 PM
Power Poster

I went yesterday and was very disappointed in the show. There were some very, very good quilts (some really great work by our own Green Fairy, Judi Madsen), but not nearly enough of them. There were a lot of vendors that I hadn't seen at quilt shows before, so that was nice, and I picked up some batiks at a very good price. Over all I'm not thrilled with sharing a show with other crafts. I want to see quilts and quilting stuff, and I want it to fill the room. There was a lot of open space, a lot of space devoted to sewing and knitting, and several exhibits (e.g. the quilted garden) that could have been left out in favor of putting in more quilts. I thought that the previous shows at the convention center have been much, much better in terms of quilts. This one was probably better in terms of vendors, but they're not the reason I attend the shows.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:34 AM

When I saw this advertised it intrigued me. I wish I could have gone. It would be interesting to see what the other "crafts" have going on. Course quilt shows are my favorite things to attend, I do like seeing all the vendors.

QuiltsRfun--what did you like the best?
Old 08-16-2014, 07:47 AM

I went and thought was OK. I picked up a new technique....painting fabric with Japanese inks. I'm going to make my own fabric that looks like a waterfall. It's going to be great to make the fabric I need for landscape quilts.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:54 AM

Nammie to 7, I liked it all, but I also knit and crochet. The Japanese ink painting was interesting. Did you see the demo of melted crayon painting? I also enjoyed the Clover presentation about tools, particularly the explanation about machine needles and thread.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:40 PM

I thought the show was good. I liked the quilts, the Swedish baby clothing exhibit bored me, and I thought the yarn faces exhibit was rather goofy. I really wanted to take a couple of classes, but I couldn't afford them, plus most of them were on a day I had to work. But I really liked the quilts! I didn't mind the knit/crochet/stitch part, I think a lot of quilters have multiple textile hobbies. I like to crochet and someday I hope to learn how to knit.

A couple of years ago I was at a quilt show where a woman was sitting and demonstrating lace making. I was absolutely fascinated. It seems so complex and yet so simple. I had really hoped to see something like that at the show. Maybe next year?

Don't forget - this was the first year for this show. Hopefully next year it will be bigger and better.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I thought the yarn faces exhibit was rather goofy.

Don't forget - this was the first year for this show. Hopefully next year it will be bigger and better.
The crocheted faces weren't something I'd attempt either but I appreciated the skill involved. Lots of ideas from the quilts and I appreciated some even more when the white-gloved attendants showed us the backs. And I enjoyed the fashion show. Made me want to get back into garment sewing.