Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Quilt label

  1. #1
    Senior Member vivientan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    314
    How do u print out a quilt label? Can I use a normal inkjet printer? Are there any ready-made templates I could download online?

    Currently I write on the label with a permanent marker before attaching it but the ink tends to smudge slightly after washing.

  2. #2
    Super Member ckcowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    8,880
    when writing out labels it is important to use micron pigma pens- they do not bleed or fade are acid free- achival quality (made for writting on textiles.

    if you print off your own labels you can purchase fabric sheets made for the printer- or you can use PFD (prepared for dyeing) fabrics- or you can prepare your own fabrics
    you adhere the fabric to freezer paper to feed it through the printer...let set to (cure) at least 24 hours then rinse with cold water (or follow the instructions for what you are using)
    keeping it simple will give you the best results.

  3. #3
    Super Member lindyline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    sunbury victoria australia
    Posts
    2,612
    Quote Originally Posted by vivientan
    How do u print out a quilt label? Can I use a normal inkjet printer? Are there any ready-made templates I could download online?

    Currently I write on the label with a permanent marker before attaching it but the ink tends to smudge slightly after washing.
    Here's one I made last night, using the preprepared sheets and the inkjet printer.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  4. #4
    Senior Member vivientan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    314
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    when writing out labels it is important to use micron pigma pens- they do not bleed or fade are acid free- achival quality (made for writting on textiles.

    if you print off your own labels you can purchase fabric sheets made for the printer- or you can use PFD (prepared for dyeing) fabrics- or you can prepare your own fabrics
    you adhere the fabric to freezer paper to feed it through the printer...let set to (cure) at least 24 hours then rinse with cold water (or follow the instructions for what you are using)
    keeping it simple will give you the best results.
    If I print my own labels off the inkjet printer using fabric sheets, will the words withstand multiple washes without smudging/fading? How about adhering fabric to freezer paper?

  5. #5
    Super Member luvTooQuilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Posts
    7,007
    Blog Entries
    1
    I've ordered embroidered labels from a member of this board. She does a great job, works with you and speedy shipping. pm me if youveoukd Luke her info

  6. #6
    Super Member gale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North-Central Indiana
    Posts
    3,713
    Blog Entries
    1
    I've read that Copic Multiliners work better and last longer than Pigma Micron pens.

  7. #7
    Super Member quilterella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Small town south of Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    1,702
    Blog Entries
    1
    I attach my fabric to freezer paper, print, let dry for a couple of hours and then heat set with iron. I used to use the prepackaged June Tailor stuff, but, too expensive and too hard to find. I have done the freezer paper trick a couple of times now and have had no issues with it.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Sassylass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    927
    Here is a link to print some off.

    http://www.junetailor.com/Creativity...uiltLabels.htm

    sass

  9. #9
    Super Member ckcowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    8,880
    you need to allow the ink to *cure* -- i let mine set for at least 24 hours--
    then heat set it...
    as for how well it will hold up- if it will fade that is totally dependant on YOUR INK...the studies show that the refillable inks- and generic brands do not hold up- some just run right out of the fabric when cold water is run through the printing no matter how heat set it is ...
    so the expensive inks- HP, Cannon, and Epson are the ones that have the highest success rate- ratings.
    use prewashed fabric (no sizing, starch, fabric softener or other additive)
    let the ink Cure...then heat set

    as for the freezer paper- i cut my fabric/freezer paper a bit larger than needed, iron the freezer paper to the back of the fabric...then cut it to size (8 1/2"x 11")- repress the edges to make sure there is no area not totally fused to the paper- then run it through the printer...allow to cure- (ink dry) then remove the freezer paper for heatsetting.

  10. #10
    Senior Member vivientan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    314
    Quote Originally Posted by quilterella
    I attach my fabric to freezer paper, print, let dry for a couple of hours and then heat set with iron. I used to use the prepackaged June Tailor stuff, but, too expensive and too hard to find. I have done the freezer paper trick a couple of times now and have had no issues with it.
    Will the ink fade over time if we wash the quilts using this freezer paper method? I read somewhere that I need to use muslin with freezer paper?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.