Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt label????? >

Quilt label?????

Quilt label?????

Old 07-17-2011, 04:20 PM

What is the term i am looking for LOL

I need to figure out how to incorporate a label on the back of the quilt the name of the person i am giving it too.

I'm drawing a blank here LOL
Old 07-17-2011, 04:27 PM
Power Poster

Personalized? :D:D:D
Old 07-17-2011, 04:39 PM
Power Poster

you can write one with a permenent pen- good ones that are recommended for this are Micron Pigma pens- they are acid free, archival quality- do not bleed, fade or smear- are made for writting that will last.
you can print labels with your computer- you can embroider them-
there are books of iron on labels you iron to fabric then fill in- there are premade labels you can buy in quilt shops (thimbleberries puts out some nice ones)
after you make your label you simply hand stitch it to the back of your quilt---anywhere you want it.
there are even people here on the board who for a fee will make a label for you.
quite often i print off a picture from my computer onto prepared fabric then i write on the picture...every label is as individual as every quilt....it's just important to remember the label

my avatar was actually used for a label on a quilt i made for my sister.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:52 PM

Thank you!!! :-)

Originally Posted by ckcowl
you can write one with a permenent pen- good ones that are recommended for this are Micron Pigma pens- they are acid free, archival quality- do not bleed, fade or smear- are made for writting that will last.
you can print labels with your computer- you can embroider them-
there are books of iron on labels you iron to fabric then fill in- there are premade labels you can buy in quilt shops (thimbleberries puts out some nice ones)
after you make your label you simply hand stitch it to the back of your quilt---anywhere you want it.
there are even people here on the board who for a fee will make a label for you.
quite often i print off a picture from my computer onto prepared fabric then i write on the picture...every label is as individual as every quilt....it's just important to remember the label

my avatar was actually used for a label on a quilt i made for my sister.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:29 PM

I frequently put a picture of the person I am giving the quilt to on the label -- I print the whole thing out on the computer. DGS asked for MY picture on the back since when he gives it to his children he wants them to know me.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:22 PM

I put my picture, my name, my city and state, who designed it, who pieced it, who quilted it, and who I'm giving it to. Then I mention why I gave it to that person.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:26 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1
I frequently put a picture of the person I am giving the quilt to on the label -- I print the whole thing out on the computer. DGS asked for MY picture on the back since when he gives it to his children he wants them to know me.
What a wonderful idea!
Old 07-17-2011, 06:27 PM

I have been having problems with getting the printer to accept the printer fabric. It will not go thru. I have tried everything. What type do you use? I was able to get the transfer paper for t shirts. You just have to get the printer to mirror the letters.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:19 PM

I usually use a fine Sharpie marker to make my labels. I had a micron pen bleed on one label. Could be because I prewash.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:25 PM

Here is a great tutorial my friend Cindi made for labels - this is for care of the quilt, but the technique is the same for personalized labels.

http://www.seamstobeyouandme.com/wor...abel-tutorial/

Cindi also made another tutorial that shows how you can utilize QR codes and smart phones to put an identifying label on your quilt that helps to identify it and bring it home in case of loss or theft.

http://www.seamstobeyouandme.com/wor...des-on-quilts/

hope this helps