Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: quilt labeling??

Blog Entries
    I label gifts but not charity quilts!

Just today I had my favorite print shop do these for me. I don't put pictures on all of my labels but these are for my nephews that live across the country and I only see once every few years. Sara does a great job! She is "Anderson Ink" in Spokane Valley Mall and can mail them out. These are about 3x5 and cost about $7.00 each. They will NEVER fade!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    My friend Cindi has done 2 tutorials on quilt labels. This first one is actually for quilt care labels, meaning instructions on how to wash/care for your quilt. You can use the same techniques to create regular identification labels for your quilt.

http://www.seamstobeyouandme.com/wor...abel-tutorial/

The second tutorial Cindi did shows how you can create a QR label for your quilt, which can do 2 things: identify it, and give the person looking at your quilt a LOT more information about it, such as what pattern it is, what fabrics you used, the name of the person who quilted it, etc.

http://www.seamstobeyouandme.com/wor...des-on-quilts/

For those who don't know, this is a QR code:

Labeling a quilt is important because: If you make a quilt for a granddaughter, then someday her granddaughter has it or finds it in the attic, she will want to know who made it and when. I have seen too many old quilts with no label, and no one has any idea who made it.

I never thought to label the first quilts I made years ago for wedding and baby gifts. It wasn't till I took a class in 1984 that I started labeling. I hand embroider or use a permanent fabric pen to trace over the info I've printed off. Or I just hand write it...never too professional looking, but it's from me :) Sometimes I include info on the top as part of the design. Have I said "I LOVE MAKING QUILTS" LOL

I make labels for all of my quilts. I try to make a label that reflects the theme of the quilt. I use the treated inkjet fabric and Microsoft Word for the printing and trace over the printing with a fine tip Micron pen.

Kingyo Quilt label
    Name:  Attachment-269429.jpe
Views: 27
Size:  61.3 KB

Oceanica Quilt label
    Name:  Attachment-269430.jpe
Views: 30
Size:  64.3 KB

Jaydon's Quilt label (informed later I got the date wrong, oops)
    Name:  Attachment-269431.jpe
Views: 26
Size:  57.2 KB

I label quilts that go to family members. I recently bought a machine that does embroidery and I'm having fun doing labels for about 6 quilts.

These labels are cute as they can be! But 100 years from now, no one will know who made these quilts!

Quote Originally Posted by CircleSquare
    These labels are cute as they can be! But 100 years from now, no one will know who made these quilts!
    Yes, that is so true. Full names of recipients and makers should on the quilts, as well as city and state, or at least state. Even utilitarian quilts, as they are the ones that we are finding and wanting to know the 'story or history' behind them. Who made them, when .... They are the scrappy quilts, the quilts made from clothes etc. They do not have to be art quilts to have a label.

So don't underestimate the value and longevity of your works of love for family, friends etc. They may end up in a museum one day, or at least found at an estate sale etc and some fortunate quilter will ask 'who, why, when, where'

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2