Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Labels >

Quilt Labels

Quilt Labels

Old 04-19-2011, 03:33 AM

I am a new quilter having made my first quilt last fall. I then made 2 others and am completing a 3rd. I have been told that I should put a label on the quilt so the first 2 I put a premade label about 1" by 3" that said handmade by Donna Motyl. I have read that I should include more info. Soooo, my question is how do you make your labels? Are they done professionally, do you make them on muslin and if so, what pen do you use that will stay permanent? Do you make something on the computer and if so, how permanent is that ink? What info do you include?
Old 04-19-2011, 03:44 AM
Power Poster

the best permenent pens to use on fabric are micron pigma pens- they are acid free- archival quality permenent fabric markers with fine tips- they do not bleed or fade.
i usually design my labels on the computer and then print them onto fabric prepared for dyeing.
on my label i include the name of the quilt, my name, state, date, care instructions, fiber content, and if it is a personal (for someone specific) quilt i include information about the occassion or person.
some people embroider labels too.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:46 AM
dd

My machine has embroidery letters built right in. I usually use that with a coordinating thread color. Sometimes I use the same lightest color fabric from the front of the quilt, sometimes I have to use muslin. You can use Pigma pen and just write whatever you want, even a pretty signature.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:52 AM

When you donate a quilt, should you put a label on it???
Old 04-19-2011, 04:07 AM
dd

Originally Posted by MYWR
When you donate a quilt, should you put a label on it???
I think I would put minimal info on it. Maybe name of quild, my first name, date, what it was made for, care instructions, things like that. I think they are more worried about keeping warm. But one day they may want to come back and thank someone. That may be a turning point in someones life.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:54 AM

all good info... thanks everyone
Old 04-19-2011, 08:49 AM

I use my computer and printer to make my labels. As long as you have an ink jet printer you can be in business. I've posted the directions before, so they should be searchable.

As for my charity quilts. The groups I belong to have their own labels, so the actual quilter is not identified. Having worked with the underserved populations I think this is very important to keep the quilters from possible harm. [There are some nut jobs out there!] In fact a friend and I get together to make the labels for one grou. she cuts and irons and I cut the freezer paper and print and then we re-iron the labels.

ali
Old 04-19-2011, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by dd
My machine has embroidery letters built right in. I usually use that with a coordinating thread color. Sometimes I use the same lightest color fabric from the front of the quilt, sometimes I have to use muslin. You can use Pigma pen and just write whatever you want, even a pretty signature.
Thank you...I hope to learn to do the embroidery portion of my machine, but for my current project my step-son is graduating from Massage therapy school 4/29 and I don't know if I will be ready for an embroidered label so I did buy a pen like was suggested and like the idea of using a light fabric in the quilt. I have sewing the binding while on a mini-vacation. When I get home tomorrow, I will look thru my scraps. :-)

:) :)
Old 04-19-2011, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
the best permenent pens to use on fabric are micron pigma pens- they are acid free- archival quality permenent fabric markers with fine tips- they do not bleed or fade.
i usually design my labels on the computer and then print them onto fabric prepared for dyeing.
on my label i include the name of the quilt, my name, state, date, care instructions, fiber content, and if it is a personal (for someone specific) quilt i include information about the occassion or person.
some people embroider labels too.
I did buy a micron pigma pen today to try. I hope to learn to do machine embroidery as my machine has that capability, but for the meantime this will work well. Thanks.. :-)
Old 04-19-2011, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by AliKat
I use my computer and printer to make my labels. As long as you have an ink jet printer you can be in business. I've posted the directions before, so they should be searchable.

As for my charity quilts. The groups I belong to have their own labels, so the actual quilter is not identified. Having worked with the underserved populations I think this is very important to keep the quilters from possible harm. [There are some nut jobs out there!] In fact a friend and I get together to make the labels for one grou. she cuts and irons and I cut the freezer paper and print and then we re-iron the labels.

ali
I will check this out as well. Thanks for the tip....

:) :-)