Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt layout ideas >

Quilt layout ideas

Quilt layout ideas

Old 08-11-2018, 09:23 PM

Default Quilt layout ideas

Hello.

I've been away from the forum for a couple years. During that time I've been busy becoming a parent and moving back to my hometown to help take care of my grandparents. This includes my grandma who got me into quilting. She hasn't been able to quilt as much lately between mobility issues and some dementia, but she misses it dearly.

So we were talking today and I'd like to help finish some of her unfinished projects. One that she has been looking at a lot in the last year is a series of beautifully embroidered applique blocks in folk wool applique style (but I think they're done in flannel) that are about 8inches with a mottled cream background. Currently they are divided into two groups of 12 which I assume were meant to be two different quilts because one has more pinks and blues and one has more oranges and reds but they could be used together too with four extra blocks. Each one is different and I could see where she used a couple different patterns to collect the different designs but they are cohesive. We also have a stack of cut squares in the same background color, a good sized stash, and I wouldn't mind going to the quilt store if we needed something more -- so basically any fabric option is available. Grandma doesn't remember what exactly she was planning, but has mentioned that if it was put with some other fabric squares of the same size it would make a good sized blanket.

So I'm trying to figure out a nice layout pattern that will be creative enough to be interesting to her, but easy enough for a novice to do it justice. I would put them on point (which is a look we both like), but I'm not sure that I'm skilled enough for triangles and I haven't sewn in a couple years. I think that just stitching them together and adding sashing might be too busy to do them justice. I know the the layout and design is one of her favorite parts so I want her to feel like something fun and interesting is happening and that she's a part of it, even if she isn't up to any actual stitching.

I told her I'd think on it this week and get together next weekend with a plan to make them into a quilt.

I've been trying to look at ideas for a layout online and not coming up with many ideas. If you've seen anything that you think might be good inspiration for me please let me know

Thanks! And it's wonderful to see you all again. You guys were great when I was quilting before and I have thought of you all fondly when I've thought about quilting again but working and raising a baby into a two year old is quite the time-sink
Old 08-12-2018, 01:59 AM

Perhaps she meant to alternate the appliqued blocks with the solid ones and then do some fancy quilting in the solids? You can do that on point, too.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:51 AM

Try googling appliqued quilt blocks set on point. You should get a lot of good images that both you and your grandmother could look at. What a wonderful thing you are doing for her!
Old 08-12-2018, 04:22 AM

Could you post some photos? I'm sure that will start many juices for ideas. You are doing such a wonderful thing for your granny! God bless you!
Old 08-12-2018, 08:17 AM

If you could post pictures I am sure someone on this board will come up with wonderful layout designs.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
If you could post pictures I am sure someone on this board will come up with wonderful layout designs.
I agree -- we are all visual people.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:15 PM

OK photos . . . warning this is going to be a lot

I went over and took photos and checked the dimensions. They're actually 10" squares

Group 1
[ATTACH=CONFIG]599393[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]599394[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]599395[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]599396[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]599397[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]599398[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]599399[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]599400[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]599401[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]599402[/ATTACH] to be continued (apparently there is a 10 pic max)
Attached Thumbnails 1-coral-tulip.jpg   1-lock.jpg   1-orange-flower-pot.jpg   1-dog.jpg   1-leaves.jpg  

1-4-orange-flowers.jpg   1-vase.jpg   1-4-red-flowers.jpg   1-key.jpg   1-3-red-tulips.jpg  

Old 08-12-2018, 05:23 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]599403[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]599404[/ATTACH]

Group 2
[ATTACH=CONFIG]599405[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]599406[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]599407[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]599408[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]599409[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]599410[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]599411[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]599412[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 1-s-bird.jpg   1-4-red-flowers.jpg   2-bird-flowers.jpg   2-bird-tree.jpg   2-hat-man.jpg  

2-3-pink-flowers.jpg   2-5-yellow-4-coral.jpg   2-blue-flower.jpg   2-bird-hearts.jpg   2-purple-flower.jpg  

Old 08-12-2018, 05:29 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]599413[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]599414[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]599415[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]599416[/ATTACH]

And the four unallocated blocks

[ATTACH=CONFIG]599417[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]599418[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]599419[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]599420[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 2-goddess.jpg   2-purple-pink-blue-flowers.jpg   2-5-pink-flower.jpg   2-shoes.jpg   x-cross.jpg  

x-3-orange-flowers.jpg   x-4-pink-flowers.jpg   x-berry-basket.jpg  
Old 08-12-2018, 05:57 PM

Those are beautiful appliqued blocks! Wow. Such variety and careful placement.

I can see what you mean about how it looks like possibly two different projects. One has autumn colors and motifs, the other is more spring-like. But since they all have the green leaves in common, they could certainly play well in the same quilt. Although at 10" each, that's a huge one! I would probably make two smaller ones and sash them with burgundy, forest green, or that sienna. Or if those are too busy for you, try the darker neutral that's in the background fabric. Your grandmother would probably like to audition some colors with you.

Or, if you and she would want to give part of your grandmother's handiwork to family members, perhaps make wall hangings. Depending on how many people you would make a gift for, it could be a single block or 2,3, or 4 patch. (Have her sign some labels ASAP so you'll have them in case anything happens to her.)

If you're a novice, the on-point setting could be a challenge. Not saying avoid a challenge, but since you have a 2 year old, probably you have enough challenges as it is!