Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Lessons >

Quilt Lessons

Quilt Lessons

Old 12-03-2012, 04:07 AM

Thanks to all who responded to my thread. Everyone's comments are helpful and have given me other things to think about. Happy quilting!
Old 12-05-2012, 02:31 AM

I have some advice for you, I have been teaching at a LQS for several years (independant) It would be better if you could rent a classroom at a store, rather than have students come to your house. Some people will want to stay for extra hours, they end up using your supplies, seems like they always forget something or need something they don't have. Usually you will have to ask to be re-imbursed for the supplies they used. Also some will feel like they can call and ask to run over for a quick minute to have you help with something since your home anyway. Plus most of the stores will give your students a discount when they purchase class supplies. If you do decide to teach out of your home, please check with your homeowners insurance, you may want to increase your liability coverage. accidents do happen, I've only had one student get hurt, i had just said please be careful when I heard "Ouch" then I saw the blood. Just my opinion, I have meet many dear friends from my classes and love to teach. Hugs
Old 12-06-2012, 09:33 AM

Thanks for the great advice Gail, you have some great points! You are the second person to mention about home insurance in case there is an accident. Something I did not think about and is a concern to me now. I may want to reconsider teaching out of my home. Again thanks!
Old 12-06-2012, 02:56 PM

One other thing - check to make sure there are no zoning laws in your community preventing home businesses (or worse, an HOA agreement).

Hope your venture goes well.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:05 PM

I agree with Gail-r. Check with your local quilt store to see if you can use their classroom. Who knows, they may not charge you if you get enough students in there and they buy stuff!

Right now I'm paying $30 a quarter for a 3 hour class taught once a month so that works out to $10 for 3 hours. We wind up buying most of our supplies from them.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:49 PM

A person in our community set up a small shop where she taught sewing classes, and people rented her machines (all machines were alike). If people simply wanted to rent a machine with no class involved other than one-on-one help as needed, that was also available. To my knowledge she didn't have any problems with people using/renting her machines. However, I think that business model may work for some communities and not for others.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:46 PM
Banned

don't base the classes on your providing the machines eqipment etc. A serious student should buy these. You could as a start provide a small kit to begin but then they should bring their own You are there to teach and not to be the supply store. And if they don't have their own machine and other supplies who's wil they expect to use when they want to quilt
Old 12-06-2012, 06:37 PM

You could check with your LQS to see they are hiring staff and some one to teach classes. I took beg quilting class from my LQS for $60 for 2-3 hr a week for 4 weeks. We were expected to bring our own machine and quilting supplies and we were EXPECTED to buy our fabric from the store. several LQS in my area have several teacher and some who specilize in different quilting techniques.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:15 PM

I paid 20.00 and did one block a week. We did 12 blocks all different. Learned a lot. She provided all the fabric and I had a beautiful quilt at the end.