Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt lost in mail! >

Quilt lost in mail!

Quilt lost in mail!

Old 12-10-2010, 07:56 PM

I hope it's just delayed because of the busy holiday. Good Luck.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by DebbyT
I am a retired letter carrier and use to leave packages in all kinds of places. I also left a note so the person knew where to find it..I didn't want to take any back. I have even left packages in the grill in the back yard. Dry and out of sight.
If they were all like you we'd all be better off! My SIL is a carrier and tells all sorts of stories on what gets shipped and where she has to deliver and hide them then proceed to write notes. She even had to deliver a beach ball, unwrapped, postage stamped on it and writing saying.."Hope you're having a Ball!" ha! They deliver tires, bumpers and so on, said as long as they pay their postage they have to deliver it! ;-)
Old 12-10-2010, 08:09 PM

Something like that happened to me once, with my very first quilt. It was a weiner dog quilt, I made for myself & decided to give it to my sister. I sent it so it would get there by her birthday, Jan. 2nd. I used the machine at the PO - when deciding which service to use, I opted for ground delivery, which was a little bit cheaper. I was thinking that everything in & out of Alaska has to go by air anyway.... WRONG! About 4 weeks later, it arrived. I found out too late that things actually go by barge (i.e. "slow boat") if you send it surface. Boy did I learn a valuable lesson - DON'T BE CHEAP!
Old 12-10-2010, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Joeysnana
Last Sat., Dec. 4, I mailed a lap quilt to my sister for a Christmas gift using the postal service. It was going from Indiana, PA to Kent, OH, not a long journey. I only sent it with delivery confirmation, no tracking. It hasn't arrived yet. I am sick at heart. It is the first quilt I ever made for her and the first time I had a quilt longarmed. UPS delivered my other sister's and mom's quilts in 1 day. Live and learn. Next time I use UPS for everything! :thumbdown:
Thanks for the warning. I am mailing mine tomorrow come hell or high waters. I will insure it and get delivery confirmation both. I am sending it First Class Priority mail to my son in Scicily for Christmas. That is the only way I can send mail to hime.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by TN Donna
Originally Posted by Joeysnana
Last Sat., Dec. 4, I mailed a lap quilt to my sister for a Christmas gift using the postal service. It was going from Indiana, PA to Kent, OH, not a long journey. I only sent it with delivery confirmation, no tracking. It hasn't arrived yet. I am sick at heart. It is the first quilt I ever made for her and the first time I had a quilt longarmed. UPS delivered my other sister's and mom's quilts in 1 day. Live and learn. Next time I use UPS for everything! :thumbdown:
Thanks for the warning. I am mailing mine tomorrow come hell or high waters. I will insure it and get delivery confirmation both. I am sending it First Class Priority mail to my son in Scicily for Christmas. That is the only way I can send mail to hime.
Donna good luck. I'm sure he'll get it safe and sound. Send it on Angels wings and a prayer...it'll get there!
Old 12-10-2010, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b
Don't panic yet - this time of the year things take longer and get caught up in places .
That's what I think also, be patient and think positive.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:32 AM

Such a terrible thing to happen. But, it still may show up. Here's to hoping.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:54 AM

My family knows not to mail packages to my house w/out letting me know - I want to make sure it doesn't stay on the front porch any longer than necessary and i'm not real good at getting the mail on a daily basis :roll:

I know the anxiousness of mailing a quilt - i mailed one to my sister after thanksgiving and i was anxious waiting to hear from her. I knew my mom was visiting her, so there was going to be someone there to get it before she got home from work.

I work in a school - I often will have stuff mailed to the bldg - but this secretary is such not a nice person and I avoid her at all costs!