Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Machine / Quilt - Embroidery Machine / Longarm Machine??? >

Quilt Machine / Quilt - Embroidery Machine / Longarm Machine???

Quilt Machine / Quilt - Embroidery Machine / Longarm Machine???

Old 05-03-2016, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bneighbor View Post
That depends on the machine you have. I have the top-of-the-line Baby Lock... The Destiny. Takes less that 30 seconds to add or remove the embroidery arm. I also have the Baby Lock Adventura. Again, very easy machine to convert from sewing to embroidery.
Now, if the poster would be embroidering and sewing at the same time, then separate machines would be the way to go. I have the Baby Lock 10 needle embroidery-only machine. I can set up to embroider, push the "go" button and then step over to the sewing machine and work there.
Toys...got to have them all, lol.
I have the Brother Dream machine and a 2002D from 2001, both are easy & simple & fast to convert from sewing to embroidery & vice versa, I think all the Babylocks & Brothers are easy. And, yes I do agree it is convenient to have an extra machine set up for sewing when you are doing a lot of embroidery.
I suggest buying the most machine you can afford, you will grow into the extra features, when it comes to sewing machines I don't think you can "overkill" LOL
Old 05-03-2016, 08:58 PM

Rob,
Thank you for thoughts. I hadnt thought about some of those points.
I have heard so much about different machines, especially from vendors (of course ). Babylock people love babylock, brother people brother, jenome people love jenome, etc.etc.etc. I just do not want to make grave (and expensive mistakes).
Shannon
Old 05-03-2016, 09:02 PM

Hi there !
THAT is EXACTLY what I had been contemplating. Of course, I am not one of those people who impulse buy but instead, I drive myself crazy trying to make sure I am doing the correct thing (and with the right machine or whatever it is I am buying), especially when the sewing / embroidery machines cost so much money. Then, on top of that, some of the brands had great deals and financing. Of course, It was more than my first car cost and I thought I must be insane. HA!

Thank you so much for response! Your advice is great appreciated

Shannon
Old 05-03-2016, 09:05 PM

What machine do you have? I have heard that it only takes a few seconds to add on the attachment for the embroidery, but my main concern was the expense and if I would even use it. Your advice, however; is one that some ladies from the quilt show told me because they like to do 2+ projects at a time. I dont think I am at that level yet so I could use that for a reasoning as to if I should do it or not.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:09 PM

I looked at the Destiny. It is quite beautiful. I was introduced to the Brother Dream Machine. I then started shopping around. I was amazed at all the "stuff". Toys! haha! Sounds like my husband with all of his tools, gadgets and other stuff. I have not done the things that I wanted because the kids needed this, or we had to do that... Now into my second marriage, kids are grown and gone and I still have that same mindset. Guess I need to get out of that!
Old 05-03-2016, 09:21 PM

When I bought my embroidery machine I was not looking for one. In fact, I had always told myself that it wasn't fiscally reasonable. As other have said there was always something else we needed more. But I had an inheritance and was paying off the house, buying things my DH wanted, paid off student loans for my DDs and I went into my local Viking dealer and there it was. I have had SO MUCH FUN with it. Mine is a an embroidery/sewing machine, but I keep it in embroidery mode since I have a wonderful sewing machine, so it is my back-up if needed.

The only thing I recommend is going through a good dealer that will support you and your machine. Lessons are great - I am not great at reading the instructions cold. For me it was better for them to show me, teach me what it does, then I can use the book at home to play more.