Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt magazines >

Quilt magazines

Quilt magazines

Old 04-01-2015, 03:23 AM

Default Quilt magazines

Quilting magazines are expensive as we all know and usually there may be only one, or maybe two, patterns that we like in a magazine. Your local library subscribes to many, many magazines, including quilting magazines. Did you know that older issues can be checked out, just like a book? You can also make a copy of something from the current issue right there in the library. Also, see if your library subscribes to Zinnio. It is a service that has hundreds of magazines digitally. You can download a magazine through your library and it stays on your computer until you delete it out. Your library is an amazing place.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:40 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to see about their digital magazine service. If they have any that is.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:55 AM
Power Poster

I know my library lets you ck out any magazine as long as it's one month old.
After the magazine is a year old, you can purchase it for .25 to .50 cents each.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:10 AM
Power Poster

I have never heard that my local small library has this service. Many of my quilting friends have never mentioned this that are active with local library. it is hard for me to get there because I don't drive.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:21 AM
Power Poster

The library in my town only has subscriptions to magazines that are donated to the library. Many patrons will give a subscription in the library's name. When I get the $10 gift subscription for friends from most quilt magazines I always use one for the library. Check with the library and see if the subscriptions are all donated. Most are.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:35 AM
Power Poster

Not to sure about photocopying a pattern from a magazine...
Old 04-01-2015, 04:40 AM
Power Poster

A lot of libraries have digital books you can download now so keep your library card active. Mine does have a subscription for quilt magazines you can take out.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:46 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Not to sure about photocopying a pattern from a magazine...

Library here will let you copy pages of a magazine or newspaper but not books.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
The library in my town only has subscriptions to magazines that are donated to the library. Many patrons will give a subscription in the library's name. When I get the $10 gift subscription for friends from most quilt magazines I always use one for the library. Check with the library and see if the subscriptions are all donated. Most are.
I know for a fact that my library's subscriptions are not donated. They are paid for out of the library's budget. My library will also take suggestions for new magazines to carry.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:03 PM

Some times a subscription is given in Memory of someone.... My parents donated $$ to local Library for books on Trees... for a Neighbor who had a lumber mill... or donations can be given and designated for a subscription -local Quilt Group does this every year...also they donate Quilt for a raffle for the Library to use the $$$ for special projects...