Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
QUILT MAGIZINE--which one? >

QUILT MAGIZINE--which one?

QUILT MAGIZINE--which one?

Old 03-26-2011, 10:23 PM

Quilters Newsletter is my favorite because it has so much info about the quilting world at large and interesting history, but if you want patterns, I like best The Quilter. For some reason BH&G and Fons & Porter just don't use colors I like or have patterns I am imspired by. I love American Quilter for new and interesting techniques. Also, I like to get Quilting at About.com and The Quilt Show online. They are really good in my opinion.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by lclang
Google "free quilt patterns", "free table runner patterns" or whatever you want to make and you will find lots of patterns that won't cost anything. I have dropped most of my subscriptions because they are expensive and there is so much advertising and the patterns are kind of blah.
ok....forgive me here....but I just love laying in bed at night (or sometimes very early in the morning) and reading a quilt magazine...call me old fashion, but I love the feel of paper in my hand, love the thought that I can read the same magazine over and over, love the thought of staring at all those patterns and dreaming away, with the comfort of my pillow under my head. Oh my, if I am really being honest here, I have a collection of the old Quilt magazines (pre 2000) that I have re-read many, many times. Quilt, the old version when Jean Eitel was editor, was my all time favorite and I miss this publication the way it was then.

of course, my hubby and I still own an extensive library of good ol' fashioned books.....and we read them all the time, too....doubt I will ever be able to give up the wonderful feel of paper in my hand for the cold surface of a computer keyboard or iPad surface ;-)
Old 03-27-2011, 07:27 AM

I love to grab a beverage at the book store and sip as I look at quilt mags. I don't need anymore patterns so my only subscription is to The Quilt Life, with real articles and maybe 1or 2 projects per issue.

Like someone else noted, Fons & Porter is one that I notice relies not only on the lines,with designed by people from the mfr, but the patterns use lots of panels. I bought an issue once, in a plastic bag, based on the cover and ended up w/ 4 panel quilts - uggh!

I enjoy looking at them all-they are fun. If you don't have a bookstore nearby, then hit the local library's periodical section.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:36 AM

I like Quilter's World and The Quilter. I have made 2 quilts from Quilter's World patterns. The patterns are labeled beginner, intermediate or advanced!
Old 05-09-2011, 01:51 AM

I may be in the minority here, but I don't buy magazines any more. I find they are expensive, contain waaay to many advertisements and inserts and not enough projects for the price. Additionally, favorite projects tend to get lost in the stacks of mags over time.
There are endless sites online and on this board that are free and easily copied and cataloged on your compute disk or hard drive for future use and inspiration. Mine are filed by block type. When I select a quilt to make, I print off a copy that I can make notes, measurements, adjustments, etc, without losing the original. After I complete the quilt, I pull up the original and transfer any notes, etc that I made to the quilt, as well as the date it was completed and who it went to. I've done this for several years and its like an ongoing journal of my quilting life.
I also have a computer file titled "Quilt Tips and Hints" When I see something I think useful I simply "cut and paste" it to this file alphabetically. No more rummaging through old mags trying to locate a particular quilt that I loved a few months ago. Instead, go to the computer file where everything is listed alphabetically.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:12 AM

I would go to the library or borrow some magazines before you subscribe.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:40 AM

If you go to their websites they usually offer a free issue to see if you like the magazine. If you like it then you and subscribe, if not just write cancel on the bill.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:27 PM
Power Poster

"McCalls Quilting", "Quick Quilts" and "American Patch work & Quilting" are my favorites. You will learn so much.All the mags' usually have beginer to advanced patterns and lessons to go with the techniques used in them.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:25 AM

I like all the quilt magazines but I receive Quick Quilts and Fons & Porter's magazine at home. Our library has Threads magazine and it has a few nice projects in it. Because of the budget, the library does not have as many craft-type magazines as they used to carry.