Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt for my cat >

Quilt for my cat

Quilt for my cat

Old 04-19-2007, 03:32 PM

Gat some of a fleece type material (its nice and soft) I agree that the kitten its attached to robe because it smell like you. So before you make her quilt pillow or what ever you deside keep the material close to you body so your sent is on it. Kitten will take to it faster.

As for the cat nip may be to much in toy and very overpowering for a kitten
Old 04-19-2007, 06:57 PM

I spent what I thought was quite a bit of money on some really good catnip for my sister's cat that had seemed to take a liking to me. When I gave it to her, to took a sniff with one lip curled up (in disdain, it seemed), then walked away.

I have since learned that not all cats like that stuff. Here's a quote.

"Feline behaviorist Pam Johnson-Bennett, author of Think Like a Cat, says:
Not all cats react to catnip. In fact, I believe the statistic is about 1/3 of all cats have no reaction at all. It is actually a gene that causes the catnip reaction and not all cats inherit it."
Old 04-19-2007, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Celeste
I spent what I thought was quite a bit of money on some really good catnip for my sister's cat that had seemed to take a liking to me. When I gave it to her, to took a sniff with one lip curled up (in disdain, it seemed), then walked away.

I have since learned that not all cats like that stuff. Here's a quote.

"Feline behaviorist Pam Johnson-Bennett, author of Think Like a Cat, says:
Not all cats react to catnip. In fact, I believe the statistic is about 1/3 of all cats have no reaction at all. It is actually a gene that causes the catnip reaction and not all cats inherit it."
Chiyo did the same thing when I gave her that toy I made filled with catnip. Just sniffed it and walked away. Tried giving her a little bit of the stuff...did the same thing. Maybe its genetics because Chiyo's mom, Heero, didn't take a liking to catnip and Heero's mom, Morgan, didn't seem to like the stuff either.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:17 PM

I make catnip toys for our local Humane Society with homegrown catnip. Many of the commercial cat toys have so little catnip in them it is pitiful, mostly sawdust, I think. Ours is so good we call it Kitty Krack. Indeed, not all cats are sensitive to it, and they don't usually start to react to it until they are at least 6 months old. The active ingredient in catnip is very close to the pheromone a female cat puts out, which is why it is so attractive to cats (even females). Incidentally, the only other animal which reacts to catnip is the skunk. When I grow it, I have to put tomato cages around the plants or they would be flattened from every cat in the neighborhood rolling and sleeping on it. I make fleece cat beds for the Humane Society as well, and sprinkle a little dried catnip inside before I sew it up. That way the cat learns to love the fleece mat (we call them "cat hair catchers!"), and even after it is washed and the catnip pretty much dissipates, the cat is used to the mat and continues to sleep on it.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:14 PM

Many dogs will chew on it and roll in it, and some cats to not respond, something about lacking a certain gene :shock: lol I love my pets, you are a nice person