Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt for my mom question... >

Quilt for my mom question...

Quilt for my mom question...

Old 08-02-2011, 10:21 AM

My mom is a very picky person, and normally I would ask her opinion, but... I want this to be a surprise. We are getting hubby's mom a big b-day present, and I think my mom is feeling left out. My thought was to make her the quilt that she has been sorta wanting for a while now.

I think she says she would like one sometime, to not put pressure on me since she knows I have a lot going on with the two babies and working on crafts to sell during the Christmas season.

So... the question is... she wants a simple zig zag quilt design, quick and easy, to go in her room. That is the easy part. The hard part is do I get fabric to 'match' her decor, or do I get some very tasteful Winter fabrics?

We live in central texas, and so she would really only use the quilt during the winter months anyways. I think she would like to have a winter 'decoration', but am not sure.

What are your thoughts????

I really appreciate any thoughts that could help me make a decision without caving in and asking her outright...
Old 08-02-2011, 10:31 AM

Hm. Since it's for Texas, maybe make it lighter, so it could be out year 'round, but make it reversible - winter stuff on one side and something on the other that would match her room? Something simple so you don't have to spend a LOT of time trying to line up the two sides, but nice so she can enjoy both sides. Just my thoughts. ;)
Old 08-02-2011, 10:34 AM

I guess it depends on what you view as "winter" decoration - being from Wisconsin, I have snowmen/snowflakes that constitute "winter" exclusive of the Christmas holiday. However, unless I was just doing a throw, I think I'd make it something that could be used all year. A bed sized quilt would be something that could be part of the decor regardless of the weather. Or you could do a bed runner of both types, one to match the decor, one for winter. Sorry, I wasn't much help.....so much comes down to personal taste.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Becka
Hm. Since it's for Texas, maybe make it lighter, so it could be out year 'round, but make it reversible - winter stuff on one side and something on the other that would match her room? Something simple so you don't have to spend a LOT of time trying to line up the two sides, but nice so she can enjoy both sides. Just my thoughts. ;)
This sounds like the perfect solution... so I 2nd this... ;-)
Old 08-02-2011, 10:51 AM

I think this is a wonderful idea! How about a strippy back ala lasagna(winter theme) with a zig zag design on top? If you can pick one color that will go with both, that can tie the whole quilt. way to go Becka!
Old 08-02-2011, 10:52 AM

I think she would feel so honored and proud to have a quilt you made that she would not want to put it away... so make it for year round.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:04 AM
Power Poster

What if you used flannel for batting so she could use it longer during the year? :D:D:D
Old 08-02-2011, 11:30 AM

Thanks for all these great ideas!!!!

Love, love, love the idea of reversiable!!!

I hadn't thought of that, and to soccertxi to suggest how I could do it is priceless.

Thank you guys so much!!!!
Old 08-02-2011, 01:19 PM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by CoriAmD
This sounds like the perfect solution... so I 2nd this... ;-)
:thumbup: :thumbup: