Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quilt names and Designers?

Question Quilt names and Designers?

I went to a Quilt Show where the quilts had the Owners name and the LAQ name and few pattern names. There were no patterns designers names on any quilts. Question- I thought in a Show the show tags were to have the pattern name and designers name, also? Is this a local option or should the pattern name and designer be listed?

I wouldn't think that the designer of the pattern should be listed. It's up to the quilt maker to write what she wants on the card. From what I understand, whatever you have created from a pattern is your work and you don't have to give credit to the pattern designer if you don't want to.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltapillow View Post
    I went to a Quilt Show where the quilts had the Owners name and the LAQ name and few pattern names. There were no patterns designers names on any quilts. Question- I thought in a Show the show tags were to have the pattern name and designers name, also? Is this a local option or should the pattern name and designer be listed?

There's also a good chance that the quilts without a pattern name are original designs or they're blocks in the public domain and don't have a designer.

ditto to Scissor Queen, that it could be that the quilts are originals.

I do believe in credit given where credit is due ... so if you have a concern speak with the show organizers about it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

It probably all depends on the form the organizer's used. Some ask for pattern and source and others don't. Like QuiltE, I believe in giving credit where credit is due. I will list pattern name and source of pattern if it isn't original. I have even gone so far that on a quilt I designed myself I credited "Inspired by" and listed the book where I got inspiration from.

Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
    It probably all depends on the form the organizer's used. Some ask for pattern and source and others don't. Like QuiltE, I believe in giving credit where credit is due. I will list pattern name and source of pattern if it isn't original. I have even gone so far that on a quilt I designed myself I credited "Inspired by" and listed the book where I got inspiration from.
    ditto!
    Inspired by ... Adapted from ... Based on ...
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

Blog Entries
    The only time I see pattern names is if the quilt is a Vendor display and they sell the patterns there. I'm thinking of going to a quilt show in Denver but need to try to call and see if they intend to have any quilts on display. The last show I went to, they had hung them ceiling height!! What a waste of my time.

While most shows now require a pattern designer's name (if any) and even a written release in many cases, that information is not generally made public in the display. Information revealed often depends on the size of the show too.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
    ... I have even gone so far that on a quilt I designed myself I credited "Inspired by" and listed the book where I got inspiration from.
    I try to do this as well. The person who was so creative does deserve some recognition.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

In the shows I have gone to I have only seen the makers and the quilters name on the labels.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast