Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
To Quilt or NOT to Quilt? >

To Quilt or NOT to Quilt?

To Quilt or NOT to Quilt?

Old 11-29-2010, 06:23 PM

I would say add him to the list, but don't put him at the top. He'll appreciate it just as much if he gets a quilt in a year than a quilt now.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:11 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by janRN
I think it's great that you want to make something for them. I usually do table runners (that way they can put it away if they don't want to use it). Maybe a nice Christmasy one would be nice since their wedding is so close to Christmas. Pick a nice easy pattern since time is short and good luck to you (and them). Post a pic of what you decide to make.
As usual, I agree with Jan. We agree on many things, except baseball teams, I think lol :mrgreen:
Old 11-30-2010, 06:24 AM

How about Christmas stockings or a tree skirt? Or, if you want to make a quilt--since time is short, give them an IOU for one.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:28 AM

How about a "gift certificate" good for a quilt to be made no later than xx/xx/xxxx???? Given the short notice, I'm sure it would be appropriate.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:31 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by omak
actually ... it isn't about first, second, or fifteenth marriage. It is about the time factor.
If he were my brother, I wouldn't hesitate a bit to start planning a quilt for him and his new bride - - somewhere down the line, because I agree that a marriage is cause for celebration.
The fact that he gave you all of, what - - a dozen days? of a heads up? Would seem to me that he wants to get married, but didn't particularly care for a big hoolabaloo over the event.
If you get a little something like the table runner done for the occasion, I am sure it will be a big surprise and appreciated, but again - - the short notice, it wouldn't bother me to not have much in hand when I next saw my brother (we are a different family, I suppose <g>).
then, I would make a note to self: Make a bunch of tablerunners for these short notice events.
Of course, then, everyone around you will figure that if they give you twelve days of notice, they are going to get one of your masterpieces and you will have created another type of monster in the family around you <g> ...
Does any of that help you? <wave>
The voice of reason! I agree entirely with Omak - if only I were organised enough to have some short notice table runners standing by! :mrgreen: :lol:
Old 11-30-2010, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by craftyone27
Just found out today that my oldest brother is getting married on Dec 10th. I have several Christmas projects in the works - mostly just fabric purchased and plans in my head. The adult kids in my family don't usually buy gifts for each other so none of the planned projects is for him. SOOO the big question is do I add another project to my to do list and try to make up a quick tablerunner or a D9P lapquilt. I may be able to put one of those at the front of my list and get it done in time. BTW this is a low key affair - 2nd marriage justice of the peace wedding w/just the bride and groom and their children from previous marriages. Thoughts and comments appreciated!!
I would go with the D9P and then have it professionally quilted (time factor here) if there is someone you know who can do it. I usually make my lap quilts (I call them coverlets) 3 - 12" across and 5 - 12" down - 2" sashing and 4" border. Shouldn't take too long. I'd line up a quilter person first though!
Edie
Old 11-30-2010, 08:53 AM
Power Poster

A table runner would be nice, and a quick project. You'd have a gift in hand, then in the future, you could make a lap quilt or such and not be under so much pressure to hurry to finish it! They will appreciate what you give anyways! :)
Old 11-30-2010, 09:33 AM

I would make something for them, even if it's just a small something to let them know you're thinking of them.