Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Panel Quandary >

Quilt Panel Quandary

Quilt Panel Quandary

Old 03-03-2014, 02:26 PM

Default Quilt Panel Quandary

Hello, I have been a member for some time but I usually just read what everyone is saying. But now I have a bit of a quandary...I purchased a lovely quilt panel awhile ago; all flowers and baskets, but I didn't want to make a wallhanging ou of it. Plus I didn't want to just put a bunch of borders around it, so I cut it all up into various sized pieces. Now what I am wondering: If I do a few disappearing four-patch and disappearing nine-patch blocks, as well as a few other blocks to work around the separate pieces...is it going to look exactly like it was just thrown together and be a total waste of time or not. I am determined to use material out of my stash so I have limited amounts. What are your thoughts on this?
Old 03-03-2014, 03:02 PM

Of course it isnt! It is going to look totally unique and special! sounds wonderful. I bought a book about how to handle different panels so that it isnt the same thing as borders around the panel or a wall hanging. Many of her ideas in the book are using the cut apart the panel into smaller blocks and add other blocks around it. Another was to offset (make the panel not the center) etc. So your idea is exactly what is recommended by quilt book authors Go for it, and please do not forget to post a photo of it so we can all "ohhh" and "ahhh" over it!
Old 03-03-2014, 03:12 PM

I agree. It will end up being a unique piece. I have cut apart panels and used them as the 'view' thru an attic window design, and I have one right now, that I want to make the view on the other side of a gate. I think your idea of combining it with several different block designs will be lovely. How about a photo.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:27 PM
Power Poster

I play with panels a lot- this is the newest quilt using panels....does it just look 'thrown together' and a total waste of time? I do not know why you would even think such a thing.[ATTACH=CONFIG]465542[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]465543[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dscn3404.jpg   dscn3413.jpg  
Old 03-04-2014, 07:37 AM

Thank you for the encouragement. I don't do much with 'panels' so I didn't know how it would work out. I'll take a few pics before and after. It is going to be a lap quilt for a younger sister.