Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt Panels >

quilt Panels

quilt Panels

Old 08-26-2016, 07:52 PM

These two were made with panels. I just wing it with the design.[ATTACH=CONFIG]556983[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]556984[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_0305.jpg   img_0124.jpg  
Old 08-26-2016, 07:54 PM

Sorry, don't know why they loaded sideways.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:18 PM
Jim

I made this quilt for my son a few years back using a deer panel...I searched for fabrics that were complimentary and added all around the panel...I cut leaves out of the white background fabric and then appliqued them all over the top to pull all the borders together...He loved it, and that was good enough for me.[ATTACH=CONFIG]556992[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails joshs-deer-quilt.jpg  
Old 08-27-2016, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Littletree View Post
Full size quilt. As long as I can work around the panel to be center in middle of quilt. Hope that answers your question.
Do you mean "full" as in full as opposed to queen, or just a big quilt?

I ask because my sis recently referred to a full sized quilt but it was actually a queen. Can you give dimensions of the size you are looking for? I can draw something out for you if you wish...using Electric Quilt..but need to know more closely what width of quilt you are looking for.

Plus, I'm sure others can help.
Old 08-28-2016, 02:19 AM

Use your panel as the center and make blocks to go around it until you get to the size you want.
Old 08-28-2016, 03:25 AM
Power Poster

I have seen some beautiful quilts that started from panels. When I googled the words panel quilts, I also saw some where the panel was not centered but placed closer to one side. Never thought of that but it looked good. Good luck to you.
Old 08-28-2016, 03:25 AM

Yeah, what granny64 said!
Old 08-28-2016, 04:55 AM

All you girls who made panel quilts, how did you manage to square the panel? I worked with a panel that was wonky and the quilt came out crooked.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:09 AM

I love a pattern called Side Lights for panels. I also have a book I think I got at Annies (on line) that is on quilting with panels. It was not expensive (probably bought it on sale) that gives different ideas and ways to use them in quilts. Missouri Star has a tutorial on their site and on YouTube where she cuts the panel and uses it in strips (like fractured -- I think it is Jenny that has that one) or uses it in attic windows.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:11 PM

Littletree--first you need to measure the bed and figure out the actual size you want/need. Then get some graph paper and draw the outside measurement for the quilt. then draw your panel where you want it placed into the drawn outside lines on the graph paper. Once you get that, you'll be able to see the rest of your area. (your graph squares would equal 1", so keep that in mind when you are buying your graph paper or you may need to tape the paper together to get the full size you need). I like your idea of the bearclaw block, probably along with some borders,etc. Maybe a row of flying geese because the panel is fairly narrow--think 24" in a quilt that will likely need to be at least 90" long--so you'll need more than just those bearclaws! by drawing this out you will be able to figure your math more accurately--or at least that works better for me (or you can do this in EQ7 if you have it)