Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Which quilt pattern intimidates you?

Which quilt pattern intimidates you?

I've been a quilter for a few decades and I've seen pretty much everything in my quilting career. What baffles me, however, is that certain patterns or techniques just intimidate the living daylights out of me. I don't know why. They just do. For me, it's the Bargello quilt technique. I admire those who applique and I've seen lots of beautiful appliqued quilts over the years but it's not a technique I have any desire to master. I'll leave it to those are good at it. Yep. It's Bargello. How about you?
    April CIVIL WAR Disappearing 4 Patch swap !!
    Upcoming Scrappy Block swap - - - stay tuned!!

I really want to do a mariners compass, but I always put it off..... Scares the bejeepers out of me!

hugs

Caroline
    Caroline

Circles........I can't imagine sewing a circle into fabric and it still looking like a circle. Mine would look like boulders with jagged edges if I tried.

Oh, and appliqué scares me too. I couldn't do an even stitch with that if I tried.
    Ginger
    ~stitching one thread at a time~

I can't get my head round paper piecing!!! I've been quilting for 17years......but working back to front?....my brain just doesn't compute!!!!
    Hilary

I try to embrace the difficult and daunting ... and I'm slowly working through various techniques. Have not tackled piecing circles yet but not for the reason you imagine. My background is in garment making so I've sewn many a set in sleeve. My problem is that I don't buy patterns or templates - prefer to figure things out on my own. I am just not sure if to get a proper circle if the outside curve and inside curve are the same. I just need to work out the geometry.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinePaj View Post
    I really want to do a mariners compass, but I always put it off..... Scares the bejeepers out of me!

hugs

Caroline
    Me, too! Not much intimidates me, but this one sure does. I'm not sure why.

mariner's compass. and those kaleidoscope thingys.

isolde

Blog Entries
    "Storm at Sea" is a problem for me. I am making a quilt of 12 blocks but when it came to SAS block, I gave up on it. I decided to use another block to comlete my project. I did not have trouble putting it together, just getting it to size up the same as he other blocks.

I've done a mariner's compass. It looks like a volcano sitting in the middle of the bed. I am determined to do it better someday, but other projects keep interfering.
    Fay

Wanted: a job that involves raising cats, riding motorcycles and creating quilts!

So far I haven't run across one. I have yet to do a Mariners compass but I would probably paper piece it if I did. Now if I had to piece it like in the old days I would run. Applique I actually love but can no longer get those teeny tiny invisible stitches I use to , eyesight .. Storm at Sea seems easy enough unless we are thinking of 2 different patterns. Oh I would never think of doing one of the Dear Jane quilts though.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast