Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quilt Pattern-On point

Blog Entries

Quilt Pattern-On point

HELP!!! I am hoping ya'll can help me find a simple quilt pattern. I want to use 5 inch squares (charm packs) and set them on point. No sashing in between. I know most of you wouldn't need a pattern but, I don't know what size blocks to cut to make the HST's for the edges, etc. I would appreciate any help ya'll can give me. I know this doesn't make a lot of sense, but, hope someone can decipher what I'm trying to say. I can see it in my mind just don't know how to exacute it. I'm new to this quilting, and the only thing that get's me by is asking ya'll questions and using patterns with step by step instructions. I don't think I would ever get a quilt done if it weren't for ya'll. Ya'll are just super to share your knowledge. So glad I stumbled on the QB one day. Thanks so much. I learn so much from ya'll. Everyone has been super. I feel we are family. Except no one makes me feel stupid when I ask silly or simple questions. Thanks Again.
    Vonda-Texas MiMi of 4 Beautiful Grandbabies

I am so new to quilting that I don't even know what HST means! But I am going to watch thread because that is how I learn.

Blog Entries
    If you are setting 5" charm squares on point, your finished squares will be 4.5". The side triangles are quarter square triangles. Start with a 7 5/8 square and cut each twice diagonally to create four quarter square triangles from each square. The corner triangles are half squares. Cut two 4 1/8 squares. Cut each once diagonally to make your four corner squares.Here's a good resource for how to cut these triangles, including a chart. From Bonnie Hunterhttp://www.stcroixquilters.com/setting%20triangles.htm
    Last edited by Krisb; 04-23-2012 at 08:04 PM.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.

Blog Entries
    HST = Half square triangle
    QST = Quarter square triangle
    Janome D1822/Janome 4618LE/1946 Singer 15-91 in original cabinet
    Bailey 17 Pro/Grace Original GMQ Frame with No-Flex carriage upgrade

Blog Entries
    Bonnie Hunter of www.quiltville.com has a very helpful chart for "Putting It on Point". It gives sizes for corner triangles for all sizes of blocks! Can't attach it here because of copyright issues. But it's free on her website. Check it out
    Sue

Blog Entries
    The link to Bonnie's page: http://www.stcroixquilters.com/setting%20triangles.htm

Here's another site that gives you the actual formula for both setting (aka side) triangles and corner triangles.

http://quilting.about.com/od/quiltse...ngtriangls.htm

Or you could skip all the thinking (my favorite way to do things) and piece the whole thing and then just trim away to make each side straight, leaving a 1/4 inch space above the points for when you turn over the binding so you don't cut off the points. I try not to think too hard when I quilt LOL.

Lots of good suggestions here. I usually follow a pattern and do what it says. Nice to have help for the ones I make up. Thanks.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    Thank You one and all for your help once again. You have saved my_______ ahhh, quilt!!! I don't think I will ever have an ounce of the quilting knowledge ya'll have. I just keep stumbling through with all the great help on this board. Wish I could give each of you a big hug for all you do to help me. But, you will just have to believe I'm sending one to one and all. Big squeezes coming your way. Vonda

PS: If anyone else has some advice or suggestions, I will be back to check on it again. Never can have to much help. V.
    Vonda-Texas MiMi of 4 Beautiful Grandbabies

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hopetoquilt View Post
    Or you could skip all the thinking (my favorite way to do things) and piece the whole thing and then just trim away to make each side straight, leaving a 1/4 inch space above the points for when you turn over the binding so you don't cut off the points. I try not to think too hard when I quilt LOL.
    This is how I do it too...
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast