Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29

Thread: Quilt Patterns--help!!

  1. #11
    Super Member EasyPeezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,144
    You could draw it on graph paper. Scale it to (for example) one square for
    one inch and make it as big as you want your quilt to be. Make sense?
    I do it all the time on spreadsheet but when it's on point I would probably
    use graph paper.

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sturbridge, Ma
    Posts
    4,017
    add more blocks to make it the size you need.

  3. #13
    Super Member k9dancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Mena, Arkansas
    Posts
    1,337
    Blog Entries
    2
    Just a suggestion....make a small version of your quilt rather than jump into a king size as your first project. I have seen many beginners lose their confidence when tackling a large quilt so early on.

  4. #14
    Super Member Lilrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    3,048
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyPeezy
    You could draw it on graph paper. Scale it to (for example) one square for
    one inch and make it as big as you want your quilt to be. Make sense?
    I do it all the time on spreadsheet but when it's on point I would probably
    use graph paper.
    this would be my advice also unless you can find someone with an EQ program that can help you.

  5. #15
    Super Member quilterella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Small town south of Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    1,702
    Blog Entries
    1
    I don't increase the block size, I increase the number of blocks. If a double asks for 30 blocks (5x6) and I want it larger, I go 8x9 making 72 blocks for the kingsize. I realize it sounds like alot more work, and it is. The other option is adding sashing between all your blocks,but, that tends to loose the effect of the pattern at times. This is just my method. Probably someone on here has an easier solution, so I'll be watching also.

  6. #16
    Super Member eparys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New England, USA
    Posts
    2,038
    Quote Originally Posted by k9dancer
    Just a suggestion....make a small version of your quilt rather than jump into a king size as your first project. I have seen many beginners lose their confidence when tackling a large quilt so early on.
    I agree with k9dancer especially if this will be your first quilt.

    That being said - I would increase the number of blocks in the quilt to alter the size. Just a reminder, however, once you increase the size of your quilt, your borders will be longer and need more fabric. Good Luck.

  7. #17
    Sashing-Sarah709's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    85
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyPeezy
    You could draw it on graph paper. Scale it to (for example) one square for
    one inch and make it as big as you want your quilt to be. Make sense?
    I do it all the time on spreadsheet but when it's on point I would probably
    use graph paper.
    Good idea. I'm going to play around with this. Thanks! :D

    Sashing-Sarah709

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Keene, New Hampshire
    Posts
    4,271
    Don't enlarge a block.
    Look at the block size and figure out how many more will be needed to get to King-sized.
    It may only be needed for width, quilt lengths are usually around 80" so if it's that or more on your pattern you'll just add blocks for width.
    The other thing not to do is add additional borders - will ruin the design. Rest assured, had the designer wanted more borders, she'd have included them.

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    league city, texas
    Posts
    656
    the above suggestions to add a row, or blocks is the way to go...whenever i want to enlarge a quilt, i just another row, or two, to the side or bottoms, and yippee, there is a bigger quilt.........good luck with those two quilts, they are gorgeous.....gina

  10. #20
    Super Member Theresa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Oregon City, OR
    Posts
    1,000
    Quote Originally Posted by quilterella
    I don't increase the block size, I increase the number of blocks. If a double asks for 30 blocks (5x6) and I want it larger, I go 8x9 making 72 blocks for the kingsize. I realize it sounds like alot more work, and it is. The other option is adding sashing between all your blocks,but, that tends to loose the effect of the pattern at times. This is just my method. Probably someone on here has an easier solution, so I'll be watching also.
    My thoughts exactly.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.