Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: Quilt Patterns--help!!

  1. #1
    Sashing-Sarah709's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    85
    Blog Entries
    2
    Hello all,
    I need some help please. I'm a pretty new quilter and I have a king size bed. Most patterns don't come in that size and I have no idea how to enlarge them.

    I found what looks like two great patterns that would be a nice next step up in Better Homes & Garden--Quilts and More--Winter 2010--page 82. It's a strip quilt called Line Art (by Holly Hickman). The second one is in McCall's America Loves Scrap Quilts--Winter 2010/11--called Nine-Patch Fondant. It soooo reminds me of my grandma's quilts--yum!

    I love both these quilts but I'm afraid to start either one since I don't know how to enlarge the patterns. Could someone please help? I've looked at the calculators . . . I think they're from a different planet! LOL

    Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated or you may see a bald quilter on here. :-D

    Thank you,
    Sashing-Sarah709

  2. #2
    Senior Member spinnergs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    643
    Sounds like one of the computer quilting programs is a neccesity in you future!

  3. #3
    Sashing-Sarah709's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    85
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by spinnergs
    Sounds like one of the computer quilting programs is a neccesity in you future!
    Ohhh I hope not. I'm fresh out of learning curves on computers and the quilt calculator was enough to make my head swim. There has to be some way to do this! LOL I'll just keep trying . . . doh!!!

    Thanks for your suggestion , :D
    Sashing-Sarah709

  4. #4
    Super Member mollymct's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    2,348
    I'm no help, being pretty new to this whole thing myself, but I had to peak at the quilts! Love them both! I've been thinking of a twin quilt similar to the Line Art Quilt myself.

  5. #5
    Super Member mollymct's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    2,348
    I am thinking the nine patch quilt would be the easier to enlarge. But I'm wondering if you would have to piece colored strips to get the desired effect on a king sized version of the line quilt? Just thinking "out loud." Someone will come along with some great advice!

  6. #6
    Super Member happymrs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,231
    Couldn't you just add another row of it across & down, to enlarge it? And you can always add more borders. See the size of the blocks they used, & the width of any borders, measure the bed, & go from there. I am not good quilt calculators either, but I just keep adding to a pattern, to enlarge it, or taking some away to make it smaller. Works for me!...

  7. #7
    Sashing-Sarah709's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    85
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by mollymct
    I'm no help, being pretty new to this whole thing myself, but I had to peak at the quilts! Love them both! I've been thinking of a twin quilt similar to the Line Art Quilt myself.
    Hi fellow newbie of the quilt world. Yea!!! I know what you mean--it's a great looking quilt! I've collecting pastel butterflies and flower prints to go with my white muslin. Well that is if I can figure out how darn many strips I need! LOL I'll show pics if I can get them done. :-D

    Sashing-Sarah709

  8. #8
    Power Poster nativetexan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    1,ooo miles from home
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    2
    you mainly want enough blocks to fit the top of the mattress. then borders to hang over a minimum of 14 inches. most patterns can be altered this way. you usually just need to make more blocks than the pattern suggests.

    is this the first one?
    http://myolivebranch.wordpress.com/2010/11/
    second
    http://www.mccallsquilting.com/mccal..._Patch_Fondant

  9. #9
    Sashing-Sarah709's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    85
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan
    you mainly want enough blocks to fit the top of the mattress. then borders to hang over a minimum of 14 inches. most patterns can be altered this way. you usually just need to make more blocks than the pattern suggests.

    is this the first one?
    http://myolivebranch.wordpress.com/2010/11/
    second
    http://www.mccallsquilting.com/mccal..._Patch_Fondant
    Yes this is the first quilt I've done from a pattern. I've only done two patchwork quilts otherwise without any patterns. Gulp . . . it's scary since I'm teaching myself at this point. :shock: LOL

    Wish me luck!
    Sashing-Sarah709

  10. #10
    Sashing-Sarah709's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    85
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by happymrs
    Couldn't you just add another row of it across & down, to enlarge it? And you can always add more borders. See the size of the blocks they used, & the width of any borders, measure the bed, & go from there. I am not good quilt calculators either, but I just keep adding to a pattern, to enlarge it, or taking some away to make it smaller. Works for me!...
    Thanks Nancy,

    Good advice. :-D I'm just nervous about doing that with either of these since it's an actual pattern rather than patchwork. I really don't want to get it messed up and like I said--the calculator results would've covered my whole city block! LOL I'm sure the calculator is fine...it's the operator that I wouldn't trust with an abacus!! LOL

    Thanks again,
    Sashing-Sarah709

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.