Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 23 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The quilt police came to visit...

A young friend who has just started quilting called to see if she and her cousin could come visit, so the cousin could see some of my quilts. I invited them with pleasure. As soon as they arrived, the cousin begin telling me what I had done wrong on one quilt after another. The colors didn't go together. The pattern wasn't right for the fabrics. The binding should have been a different fabric. The poor young quilter was dying in front of my face. She had wanted her cousin to see that there wasn't a specific "correct" way to make a quilt. Instead we were getting a lesson on all the "incorrect" things I was doing.
    I am 62 years old and made my first quilt with my grandmother when I was 10. I stood and listened to this 20 something non quilter tell me what I was doing wrong.
    When she finished, I very politely asked her how many quilts she had made. NONE, she just knew what was wrong with mine. She then made a comment that I probably didn't know how to design. That is when I opened the door to the store room and begin pulling out the evening and performance gowns I had made for my daughter when she was in pageants and completions. All of which I designed and made, hand beading and all.
    That didn't stop her. She made some smart comment that I had probably used a pattern or bought them and removed the labels.
    At this point my young friend grabbed her cousin by the arm and tried to drag her out of the house!
    I told my friend she was welcome back at any time.
    Then I turned to the cousin and politely told her that:
    1. I started making my own clothes at the age of 5
    2. I had a degree in costume design
    3. I have been designing and sewing more that three times as long as she is old.
    4. Rudeness is not a sign of intelligence, it is a sign of ignorance. 5. While her cousin was welcome to return to my home at any time, I hoped that I never had the opportunity to see her again!
    I then gave my friend a hug and opened the door for the cousin, who left in a huff... I laughed and cried as they went to the car! I hope my friend comes back soon. I called her later and told her I didn't hold the cousin against her. We can't help to whom we happen to be related.

I can't believe the nerve of some people. Reminds me of some of our educators who have never had children telling us how to raise them, cause they are so "educated"

Blog Entries
    oh wow. I have no idea how I would have handled that, but it sounds like you did it with grace.

The NERVE of some people! I probably couldn't have kept my mouth shut as long as you did, lol!! I guess it takes all kinds of people to make the world go round.

Blog Entries
    LMAO. I need some of your patience and tact. I hope your friend sees that you are her friend, and her cousin is NOT!

I am afraid you handled it with much more grace than I ever could have. Well done!

Wow! What a nasty person, but you handled it with such grace! I am afraid, I would not be able to do so, probably would have physically thrown her out!

Blog Entries
    So sorry some people are so rude and unintelligent. Your friend I imagine was mortified. I hope she does come back and learns how to quilt from you, because you have a good heart and will be a great teacher. She couldn't learn from anyone better. Have a good night and don't take it to heart that she is so ignorant. Amy

Blog Entries
    wish i had the retort and the nerve to say it. good for you

Boy, you handled that well!

Page 1 of 23 1 2 11 ... LastLast