Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt pricing for selling quilts >

quilt pricing for selling quilts

quilt pricing for selling quilts

Old 12-14-2012, 09:23 AM

Be careful about making a hobby you enjoy into a business. I did that many years ago and it took all the fun out of my hobby.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:39 AM

And as more and more quilters decide to sell quilts to make money the prices will go down and down. Market forces at work.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:24 AM

if you enjoy long arming then i would say start there. in our small area alot of times the lady at the quilt shop is backed up and people need somewhere else to go when that happens. as some of the posters said you could always make small things for flea markets/craft shows and there wouldnt be that much money tied up in it if it didnt take off imediately, especially as its going to be part time anyway at first. if it grows and gets profitable you can then choose to quit that part time job. with the economy like it is i wouldnt do that til i was sure i didnt need it. i have an extra quilt right now and even though everyone says my work is art i probably couldnt get what i have in it back because of the depressed economy in our area so it will just stay in the closet til the right person turns up for it. im sure my heart will tell me who to give it to.
carla m
Old 12-14-2012, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by hsquiltingmom View Post
Hi everyone,

After 3 failed attempts to get a full time position at my current job, I am contemplating starting a business of selling quilts. I would like to know how those of you who sell your quilts, figure out the pricing structure. Do you base the cost on the full price of the fabric? I buy all of my fabric on sale. I am going to figure the price of quilting at .01 per square inch for meander and .02 per square inch for custom quilting. That is in line with one of my local quilt shops.

Any help that you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
I think I'd set a price per yard at something high-------$15 or the going rate at the best shop in town-------------REGARDLESS OF HOW MUCH YOU PAID for the fabric. The labor on free or $5 or $10 or $15 fabric is the same, and the labor any way you cut it, is extensive.

Personally, if you want to live on this money, you'd most likely be better off doing custom work. The general public is not going to pay $500 plus for a quilt they've not requested.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:41 AM
Power Poster

The price you charge really depends on the market in your area. Years ago when I sold crafts at craft fairs, I was told to charge 3 times what it cost, as you never get much for your time. I started out doing doing craft fairs with my sister, some days I would sell a lot and other days very little. I just did a craft fair in Nov. and although I had lots of placemats and table runners, they did not sell well, I only sold a few. However, I did bring 11 Bow Tucks bags with me and only brought 4 home, and I also got 4 more orders after the fair, which was very nice to have some "mad money" to spend. I love to quilt and if I can make some money fine, but I'd still be quilting, even if I'm only giving them away as gifts. Just hang in there and do what you love.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:43 AM

Hi everyone,

After 3 failed attempts to get a full time position at my current job, I am contemplating starting a business of selling quilts. I would like to know how those of you who sell your quilts, figure out the pricing structure. Do you base the cost on the full price of the fabric? I buy all of my fabric on sale. I am going to figure the price of quilting at .01 per square inch for meander and .02 per square inch for custom quilting. That is in line with one of my local quilt shops.

Any help that you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
On second thought, you might do better simply doing LAQ for others, rather than making a whole quilt from bottom up.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:53 PM

I onkly quilt for friends and family...there is NO way I could make enough..When I did woodcrafts for a living, the basic rule was materials times 3...Could you get that where you live...I have made quilts for good friends ..I just did a baby quilt that she paid for all the materials and gave me an extra $30...That was fine as I did is as a favor for a friend..I would rather give my quilts away than lower my price to compete with Walmart
Old 12-15-2012, 05:10 AM

Figure out how much it cost for everything in the quilt..you can give them the sale cost of fabric or retail...figure both costs and then decide....then multiply by 3. On deciding whether to give your actual cost of fabric of retail, maybe choosing a price between the two.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:32 PM

I should have mentioned that I would not be quitting my part time job. This would be something that I would use to supplement our income with, and maybe put some money aside for extra vacations and such. With the cost of things, I thought this might be a way to help. Thanks for all the suggestions.
What about teaching quilting in your home or long arm?
Old 12-15-2012, 11:49 PM

be sure you get a signed agreement. on price ,color, size , and time to get it done, and always get a 50% deposit, BEFORE you start.