Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Quilt Question for You All

Whatever works for you is the right way. If you like to chain stitch as I do, imagine this. Number your rows top to bottom. Alphabet your columns left to right. Sew Row 1, blocks A & B, then row 2, blocks A & B, etc. when you get to the bottom you can keep chain stitching by sewing Row 1, Blocks C & D, Row 2, Blocks C & D, etc. When you get all your blocks sewn into 2s, you go back and join 1A/B to 1C/D, then 2A/B to 2C/D, etc. Hope this makes sense.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    squares left to right, rows top to bottom...the same way I read. Seems like the natural way to do it. ;-)
    This is the way I do it, also!
    Yup, me too. Never thought about it till this post! :D

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I generally do it Eleanor's way, but not if the other way seems easier.

Blog Entries
    I sew my squares top to bottom and sew back to the top. when I am ready to join I sew left to right. I also always sew a straight seam line across a corner of my first block so that I know that is the beginning of the first row. One time I did not and had to take it apart. I had sewn the bottom to the top of the next row. When I am ready to make the sandwich I take the line of stitching out. Have not had trouble with the right ends together since.

depends on the quilt design= sometimes it is easier to match up and get it all together column style, sometimes horizontal rows make sense= and sometimes i use a diagonal setting-
    everyonce in a while i work from the bottom up too...every quilt has it's own needs/personality - i do it the way it will be easiest for that project :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    squares left to right, rows top to bottom...the same way I read. Seems like the natural way to do it. ;-)
    Same here - but the other way would work I guess.

I do it as your first example left to right. I am right handed, maybe a left hander would do it the other way. haha

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2