Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Retreats >

Quilt Retreats

Quilt Retreats

Old 09-20-2014, 08:41 PM

Default Quilt Retreats

It's me again :-)

How can I find a quilt retreat in So Cal? I am not in any guild and I can't at the moment be in one (school, work, and some quilting) but i am wondering if i can still go???? how do i find one close to me? I need to do something different after both my kids are out to college because i will miss them tremendously and need something to keep my mind busy and motivate me.
Thanks
Old 09-21-2014, 02:46 AM
Power Poster

Visit local quilt shops, they should be able to tell you about any retreats being offered in your area. You can also visit the websites of favorite designers and online shops to see if they have any retreats coming up in your area. Alex Anderson holds a couple retreats in southern California everything year. I just typed (quilting retreats) into my Google search bar and found pages of them to choose from, all over the country (and cruises/trips)
Old 09-21-2014, 02:47 AM

The best source is a quilt guild. They won't mind if you can't attend regularly but you can get their newsletter to keep up with what's happening. Another place that sponsors retreats is quilt shops. Usually retreats fill up fast so you want to sign up as soon as possible.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:53 PM
Power Poster

Eleanor Burn is having one......

Camp Cedar Glen Retreat in Beautiful Julian, CA!
Join Eleanor and fun classmates for a weekend of relaxation and quilting! Camp Cedar Glen is located in the Laguna Mountains of San Diego County, at the base of Vulcan Wilderness Preserve. The surrounding scenery is spectacular, and the town of Julian is a quaint place to visit on your way up to the retreat. Days are usually warm, and nights are cool. Our accommodations are comfortable, with rustic bunkhouse lodging, 4 to 8 bunks to a room; meals are tasty and filling. Teachers will be on site to help guide you through the steps of making your quilt. We have plenty of room to sew and tables to lay our quilt tops out for finishing. Even if you’ve never made a quilt before, this is the weekend for you! So come and relax and go home with a brand new quilt! Click through here to read more information.

http://www.quiltinaday.com/search/de...nt=QIAD-SEPT23
Old 09-23-2014, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Eleanor Burn is having one......

Camp Cedar Glen Retreat in Beautiful Julian, CA!
Join Eleanor and fun classmates for a weekend of relaxation and quilting! Camp Cedar Glen is located in the Laguna Mountains of San Diego County, at the base of Vulcan Wilderness Preserve. The surrounding scenery is spectacular, and the town of Julian is a quaint place to visit on your way up to the retreat. Days are usually warm, and nights are cool. Our accommodations are comfortable, with rustic bunkhouse lodging, 4 to 8 bunks to a room; meals are tasty and filling. Teachers will be on site to help guide you through the steps of making your quilt. We have plenty of room to sew and tables to lay our quilt tops out for finishing. Even if you’ve never made a quilt before, this is the weekend for you! So come and relax and go home with a brand new quilt! Click through here to read more information.

http://www.quiltinaday.com/search/de...nt=QIAD-SEPT23

This s awesome Laguna mountains are wonderful what a great idea. Thanks manic quilter
Old 09-23-2014, 10:05 PM

There is a quilt store in Sun City, Little House of Quilts. That is close to Parris, and they would have information on the guilds and retreats in your area.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:49 AM

Thank you all for the info. I greatly appreciate it. I am more interested in retreats by guilds not with designers directly. I am really needing to get out and be with some fun people to work on my projects only.
mamagrande thanks, i will check with the Sun City shop and will ask my friend who lives in Hemet to get me more details too from her guild.

Thank you all!
Old 09-25-2014, 11:13 AM

Check online as well. More shops are advertising retreats online as well as through the store. Check to see if the local guilds list a retreat on their website. If they don't fill up their retreats with guild members, some of them will open up spaces to non-members for an extra fee.