Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt shop >

Quilt shop

Quilt shop

Old 03-29-2012, 03:59 AM
gus

Pine Needles of Racine MN I live 8 miles from there and will miss them. Now I will have to drive the 30 miles
Old 03-29-2012, 04:16 AM

My local quilt shop is terrible. Their prices are way too high and the service is worse. You are fortunate to have a place close enough where you have nice people.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:34 AM

Gotta get it when the gettin's good!
Old 03-29-2012, 05:35 AM

I just visited a shop that opened a couple of months ago that is 25 miles from me. I went in to introduce myself and to see what they had. I am the president of our local quilt guild and invited the owner to join and asked if she had anything that she wanted me to bring to the guild about her shop. She was very nice and said that she was interested in our guild and would be happy to hand out our informational flyers. I think I've got a new friend. She gave me a handful of business cards that I can distribute to our guild and I told her that I would and will be a frequent visiter.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:56 AM

I've got the day off tomorrow and sure would like to know where this shop in MN is! I've been wanting to do a shop hop on my own and it might just be within driving distance from me. Where is it, please?
Originally Posted by decky View Post
With all the quilt shops that are closing, I thought you would like to hear about the one I go to. Right now it is in a small town about 30 miles from me. Starting April 19 they will have moved into a large store in the big city where I live. I think it is just great that they are doing so well. The owners and staff are just super people and I'm so glad that things have worked out so well for them. Right now they are having a huge sale at the store, today and tomorrow everything is 50%, Thursday and Friday everything will be 60% and Saturday things will be 70%. Needless to say I have been to the store twice this week and plan on going on Saturday. I bought 5 yard bundle for 12.50 today that I plan on sending to a friend who makes kids quilts to donate. Oh and I bought fabric for myself also, not much will wait until Saturday.

Pat in MN
Old 03-29-2012, 05:57 AM

Waiting to hear what shop in MN we are talking about. I love Millie P's, I also love Country Fabrics in Brainerd. I love the LQS and always make a purchase from them when I visit one. I know some people just cannot afford to make big purchases at the small shops, but they have great sample projects and very knowledgable staff. Even a small purchase helps them out. They certainly are not in it for the money.

I work very pt at Hancock Fabrics (I don't feel I am quite qualified to work at a LQS) in Woodbury, MN. Besides being a beautiful store, the prices of cotton fabrics do seem to be drastically dropping. A brand new bolt of fabric came in priced at $4.99 a yard and the quality really was decent. I was very surprised.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:25 AM

Default Local Quilt shops

I just wanted to add that it is great that us on this board believe in supporting the LQSs. I am a firm believer in this!! I only shop for fabric at LQSs and Quilt shows.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:54 AM

Minnesota is a bit too far for me to go, but congradulation on the great news for you. Have fun shopping at their moving sale.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:11 PM

Sorry to hear that Elaine, Our LQS here in Ithaca, NY is a wonderful place to shop and all the ladies there are so knowledgeable and always want to help you or will give suggestions if you ask. There is also another very nice one about 10-15 miles south of here. I don't get there as often because of the mileage and price of gas, but they have a huge selection of fabrics and they just had a sale with 25% off everything in the store. I went and stocked up on good quality thread as my newer machine is very fussy about the thread I use.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:25 PM

Default Southern Vermont quilt heaven.

I live in a town of about 3,000 people, a mile from a wonderful shop. Within 10 miles south and west of me there are two more shops, each different in style, types of fabrics, classes, but all with good service and lovely fabrics. Oh, and there's another about 15 miles to the east in New Hampshire. Little bit of heaven here. Lots of folks come here on excursions from out of state, but many local quilters too. Sure would love to be near that sale this weekend, though!