Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt show bus trip games >

Quilt show bus trip games

Quilt show bus trip games

Old 05-24-2013, 04:06 AM

Default Quilt show bus trip games

I've been asked to be the Mistress of Ceremonies on an upcoming bus trip to the Lowell (MA) quilt show. I've never been on a bus trip of this sort but because I'm so shy(no, really, I am!!!) they want me to manage the game portion of the trip. So I need help - can you refer me to some web sites or explain here what would be fun to do? All ideas welcome including the one where someone else takes on this job!
Old 05-24-2013, 04:11 AM

ABC's - looking out the windows (or even inside), find something starting with A, then B, then C. So A-apron, B = blue dress, C=cloth or clothes, ..

Could be done as a group, or individually.

State license plates - have a list of states, check off the ones you see. Probably needs to be done on 4 lane roads.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:21 AM

Never played a game on a bus trip before....

but how about people just telling a little about themselves to everyone. If they talk loud enough and everyone's quiet, maybe they'll be heard. Not everyone needs to say something. Pick a row and seat number.

Or how about you coming up with ICE BREAKER questions that people need to ask each other. When did you start quilting? What's your favorite thing to do with quilting? Least favorite?

Or ask very general questions like Who's been quilting the longest? Shortest? Who's traveled the farthest to go to a quilt show? Who's going to their first quilt show today? Maybe have little prizes.

Maybe the bus ride home will be quiet because everyone is quiet or reading a pattern.

I'm sure it'll be fun.

Nan
Old 05-24-2013, 07:00 AM

We do a "horse race" on our bus trips; I'll describe it & maybe you can adjust it to something with fabric? We have 6 bean bag horses; the caller assigns 6 captains(jockeys) & tells them the name of their horses (all goofy names) and passes a paper around & you sign up under what team you like. You can join more than one team but it costs $2 for each horse. The caller has the horse race written up just like how you hear the announcer at a horse race, the goofier names (you could use fabric or pattern designer spoofs). Then you throw the dice & you have to have a 1 or a 6 to start out of the gate. All the people on the bus are cheering for their horse to get out. Once the horse is out of the gate, each time the dice is thrown it moves that many seats back on the bus....it goes down one side & crosses over at the back & up the other side; the first one to get to the front seat opposite to where it started wins. The $$ is then divided between all the people who signed up under that horse. It can get kind of rowdy but it's a hoot.... all these "seniors" clapping & encouraging their horse (you have to watch some people they try to hold onto the horse instead of passing it each time)
Old 05-24-2013, 07:12 AM

We had a "scavenger hunt" on one bus trip. It wasn't announced, so no one could pack the kitchen sink LOL. Get a list of things like a safety pin, toothpicks, different colored pens (green, pink, purple, etc.), Sharpie markers, pigma pens, hard candy. As you call out the item, each person gets a point for each thing she has that is on the list. It has to be something in their possession when they boarded the bus. Have a small prize for the person with the most, least, and wierdest. I won that one because I had a pair of chopsticks in my purse -- hey, they had it on the list. Include some easy things like chocolate, a phone, book (or electronic reader), magazines, bottled water and some not so easy stuff like a hard boiled egg (we had to pack our own lunch and eat while the bus was moving), hair bow, rubber band, band aid. The list goes on and on.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:13 AM

Love the horse race idea!
Old 05-24-2013, 07:21 AM

I too think the horse race is a good one! I had a Christmas trip and had each person fill out a page of tricky questions, i.e. Exactly how many gifts were given in the Partridge in a Pear Tree, what is the fourth line of the song We Three Kings. You could find something like that pertaining to sewing. Maybe "famous" designers, etc. Still like the horse race though, wonder how long it would take to do.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:26 PM

love the horse race idea too - maybe they could have the names of famous quilting personalities! hmmm.......this has my mind racing (get it, racing?????) Maybe the race and a scavenger hunt and a trivial pursuit would be enough. Any other tried and true ideas?
Old 05-24-2013, 06:10 PM

I love 2 truths and a lie. People tell 2 truths about themselves and 1 lie. Others have to guess the lie. Fun way to get to know each other.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by amelia0607 View Post
I love 2 truths and a lie. People tell 2 truths about themselves and 1 lie. Others have to guess the lie. Fun way to get to know each other.
We did this at a baby shower where there was alot of family but some total strangers, it was hilarious, some of us couldn't even get the facts right on ourselves! It was funny, when a sister or niece reminded you that yes you had tried out that before...... or no... you hadn't been to Hawaii....