Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt show everything but DMQ >

Quilt show everything but DMQ

Quilt show everything but DMQ

Old 04-13-2013, 04:12 PM

Default Quilt show everything but DMQ

Went to a quilt show, seen beautiful quilts, some hand quilted, some long arm quilted. Only one done by DM. Just curious, do they show quilts quilted by DM? Is there a category for this? What is the standard? I think many times they are just as beautiful and I may want to enter one sometime.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:16 PM
Power Poster

It would depend on the show, whether they have DSM specific classes.
Some do ... some don't!

And too, it could also be that the quilters in that show, don't do DSM quilting.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:43 PM

It depends on the categories, if it is a judged show. It it was a guild show, maybe their members just don't do it.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:41 PM

What is DM?
Old 04-13-2013, 05:44 PM

I just found out it means domestic machine (or your sewing machine). There is a lady in my guild who consistently wins top prizes for her quilts - she sews them and quilts them on her Bernina sewing machine- it is an older model so doesn't even have a big throat area. She is amazing!
Old 04-16-2013, 10:25 AM

The quilt shows I am familiar with have different categories for machine quilted vs hand-quilted. Also categories for quilts done by more than one person (ex. pieced by 1 person and quilted by another). They did not diferentiate between quilting by long arm or domestic sewing machine.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
I just found out it means domestic machine (or your sewing machine). There is a lady in my guild who consistently wins top prizes for her quilts - she sews them and quilts them on her Bernina sewing machine- it is an older model so doesn't even have a big throat area. She is amazing!
I had to look to see where you are located because we have a lady that uses her OLD Bernina to quilt her large quilts here in central Oregon. You would not believe what she does with them. She has won in Paduccah and one other famous show associated with Paduccah. she is so intense with her tiny quilting and her use of threads that the backs are great works of art too.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:17 PM

2 years ago was at a quilt show and a lady was very disappointed to see so many (nearly all) done by Laq. It was true many had we found only 1 had been hand quilted. It was the first time I noticed how hand quilting is becoming a love of the few and for some reason they also don't put in shows .
Old 04-17-2013, 03:24 AM

I guess I too,was disappointed the ones I seen was mostly done by LA. A few hand quilted which I stand in awe of ! I may have to entered a couple of my dm quilts one day. Maybe start a trend I have seen some beautiful DM quilting and would like to see more of it in the shows as well as the others.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:31 AM
Power Poster

So many people now have a mid or longarm that these quilts are getting more common. Most shows still have categories for hand appliqué, hand quilting, machine pieced/appliqued and DM machine quilted AND machine pieced professionally long arm quilted. A professional long armer is anyone who is paid to quilt for others but there are people who own their own long arm and are not professional. How many quilts have you seen hand appliqued and hand quilted? Most quilters have so many ideas and quilts they want to do that a long armer is a way to check some off the bucket list.