Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt show question about sleeve >

Quilt show question about sleeve

Quilt show question about sleeve

Old 07-19-2016, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
Bigger is an ART quilt?
Well, using a wider binding does not automatically put your quilt into an art class. But art quilters can get away with using a wider binding and breaking some other "rules" in the name of artistry.

Usually judges will knock points off if your binding isn't the standard quarter inch. I wish they would ease up on all of the standardizations and should-bes and let creativity, artistry, and design take on more importance. I saw an absolutely lovely quilt get passed by because it didn't hang ramrod straight, while a really boring quilt won based on technical perfection of assembly.

And of course, it's all subjective from the judges' points of view.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Good luck with the show! Your quilts are crazy beautiful so I'm sure you will do well. Let us know what happens!
Thanks! Kinda nervous! My binding is 3/8" on the front.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:52 AM
Vat

In order to get a perfect 1/4 inch binding on the front and on the back you have to stitch your binding on with a scant 1/4 inch seam. By the time you stitch your seam and then turn the binding to the back to stitch , the fabric tends to add at least 1/16" to the binding finish. I solve this by first cutting my bindings 1 78" folded in 1/2 and stitched on at a scant 1/4" seam. Also stitch your corners down, judges don't like the seam gapping. Good Luck with your entry.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:56 AM
Vat

Forgot to talk about the sleeve, I cut my sleeve 8 1/2 " and fold it in half. Sew it into the seam as I sew my binding on. I personally think the sleeve helps to protect the quilt when it is being used. Also I put a sleeve on the top and the bottom just in case I ever want to hang the quilt and put a lathing strip in the bottom so the quilt will hang flat.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:58 AM

I wouldn't recommend sewing the sleeve into the binding, it will show above the quilt when it hangs.

I would follow the instructions in the link given upthread. It illustrates sewing the sleeve about an inch or so down from the top of the quilt.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:56 PM
Vat

If you tack the sleeve down properly it does not show on the top. You only give it a very small amount of ease.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:23 AM

One thing that I have started doing when sewing on a quilt sleeve is to spray the back of the sleeve with basting spray. I don't have to use so many pins that stick me to make sure that it doesn't move. I've started putting basting spray on the backs of my labels too.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Those are pretty standard parameters for shows.

When they say "ease", what they mean is the front face of the sleeve can't lay flat against the quilt. This is because if you DO sew a sleeve with no ease, when the quilt is hung there will be a bulge on the front of the quilt. The dowel or board takes some space, and if you don't allow space in the sleeve, it will take it from the quilt, which then won't hang as nicely.

If you look at the very last picture in the link that feline fanatic posted, you will see very clearly how the front face of the sleeve doesn't lay flat against the quilt.

The 4" seems excessive until you see how a lot of shows use large dowels, and personally I'd rather have lots of space when a volunteer is shoving a wooden rod into the sleeve. Nothing against volunteers, and I appreciate all the hard work they do to make the shows happen. It's just the nature of hard wood vs. soft fabric.
I couldn't understand that "ease" and 1/4" pressing along the long edge, until I read your post, peckish. The "bulge" didn't make sense to me because I was thinking of a single "bulging" lump on the front of the quilt, not the entire length of the rod bulging when the quilt was hung. You've described it so well that it is now clear. Thank you!
Old 07-21-2016, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
This is my favorite tutorial -- by Bonnie K Browning, the Executive Show Director for AQS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m

Does the binding lay flat? Is it filled with batting all the way out to the edge? Are the hand stitches even & nearly invisible? Is the binding a 1/4" all the way around on both sides (unless you chose a different width for artistic reasons & are entering it as an art quilt)?
When did it become 1/4" for binding for competition quilts? Was it for visual appeal or functional wear or just an arbitrary decision by someone who could? Or is it a "gotcha rule"? I would like to know when the change was made. For as long as I can remember quilt pattern cutting guides have called for 2 1/2" binding strips. Have patterns changed to reflect the requirement change with narrower binding strips. I haven't purchase a new pattern for a couple of years.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:02 AM

I couldn't tell you when the change was made. For the most part, the books and patterns I've purchased recently still say to cut binding strips at 2.5" or 2.25". And I don't know that it's necessarily a "requirement" for competition quilts, but I believe the industry in general considers a narrow binding more attractive.

Probably a question better directed towards quilt shows and judges.