Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
At a Quilt Show >

At a Quilt Show

At a Quilt Show

Old 05-11-2014, 05:48 AM
Power Poster

Default At a Quilt Show

Have you ever taken pictures of EVERY quilt in the show, or do you just take pictures of the quilts that please your eyes? I have thought about taking every one but some do not appeal to me so I have not as of yet.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:08 AM

I don't generally take pictures but my friend does. It is always interesting to see what was at a show, even the quilts you didn't like - you can always look at them to see WHY they didn't appeal to you and what you might change.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:14 AM

I have a friend that used to do that, then have double prints made and send me the second copy. Thousands of pictures
I've never taken a picture of a quilt at a show, but I have used the back of my program to indicate some interesting quilting motifs or unusual color combos that worked.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:27 AM
Power Poster

I take a few pictures of what intrigues me or an effect I want to try. I always check first though to see if photos are allowed.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:36 AM

I take some photos...mostly of ones that I want to try. My brain doesn't retain the detail if I don't have something to jog the memory.

Just remember, that some quilts are not supposed to be photographed...
Old 05-11-2014, 07:16 AM

I've only been to a few small quilt shows, all the others have been LARGE shows and no ... I could not possibly have taken pictures of all of them even if I had wanted to.

At every show there are some quilts that simply don't interest me and I don't photograph them at all. Others I take multiple pictures of especially if some intricate detail is a key element or done especially well (quilting, appliqué, beading, 3D effects ... etc).
Old 05-11-2014, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

I photograph most of the quilts at shows, and I've never been to a show where photography was not allowed. (There is one local show that doesn't allow flash photography, but that's just ignorance on their part.) I love looking at the quilts in person, but I can't possibly remember all the wonderful patterns and color combinations, so going back through my photos (all stored in digital format on my computer - never printed) helps me decide what kind of quilt to make next, or what quilting motifs might be interesting to try. It's seldom that I don't think a quilt is worth a picture, but I do photograph the smaller quilts as a group.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:06 AM

I usually take pictures of the ones I like.

I have gone to THE SISTERS QUILT SHOW (many times) and they have over 1,000 quilts all over town. It takes all day, and I know I have missed seeing some, not to mention the time it takes to get a picture of the all.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:09 AM
pw6

I do but some booths do not want you to take pictures, so I asked first. you can always buy a CD for the entire show of quilts at every show.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:15 AM
Power Poster

I don't get to many quilt shows, but I always take a picture of something I want to make. Most patterns I can input into EQ from a photo.