Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Show:What MUST I buy??? >

Quilt Show:What MUST I buy???

Quilt Show:What MUST I buy???

Old 04-04-2015, 06:03 PM
Power Poster

Default Quilt Show:What MUST I buy???

I'm going to a quilt show next week.
what would you buy and why (what will you use it for).
Don't want to pass up a good deal or idea. thanks.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:17 PM
Power Poster

Really the only thing I know I will buy and look for at the big quilt shows are the pre cut 18" batting squares. That is the best bargain ever. I get the wool and silk squares. Those big pink bags everyone is carrying around? Full of batting squares.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:59 PM

I never know what I am going to buy until I get there. I never seem to have a problem finding stuff though.

Dina
Old 04-04-2015, 07:23 PM
Power Poster

what do you do with the 18" batting sqs. saw them a yr a go, thought they were samples.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:47 PM

I tend to buy things I have problems finding locally. whatever you can't find locally you can usually find at a quilt show
Old 04-04-2015, 08:44 PM

I almost always buy a package of the Clover .4mm thick blue and yellow glass head pins, just to keep a spare package on hand, because they can't be had locally, and they are the most awesome pins. Then I usually end up giving them to a fellow quilter, so need to buy them again at the next big show. I'll also buy specialty rulers and threads which also can't be had locally. I usually don't buy books because they're at full price at shows, and I can get them cheaper elsewhere. As hard as it is to do, hit the vendors before looking at the quilts. The quilts will still be there later, but the vendors may sell out of something you need.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:54 PM

I usually look for my machine makers and look at gadgets and buy bobbins for my machines or other feet etc.no local dealer in area so try to cover a wide range of what might go wrong.
i like to buy on the last day fabric in large amount for backing. Usually get. Discounts as stall holders don't want to take them back.
i have purchased a new sewing machine which had been the one people were trying at the show.lovely machine.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:40 AM

I went to International Quilt Festival in Chicago and didn't buy anything. I wanted to find the best way to mark the double wedding ring I am making for quilting. Watched a lot of demos. No new ideas worth spending the money on. I also looked at sewing tables. I plan to buy in the near future. It was good seeing them in person.
Think about your needs and wishes and dreams. Go compare, demo and ask questions. It is a great place to do that.
Have fun.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:54 AM

I like to buy longarm rulers, prices are usually the same as online but theres no shipping and it's easier to tell what size you really need.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:09 AM

I went to the Grand Rapids quilt show last August on the last day and for only the last 4 hours. Ended up getting a great deal on a roll of batting at the end of the day cause the dealer didn't want to haul it home. Bought one cone of superior thread. Did read that vendors are not allowed to discount items other than a show special. Hubby bought a vibrating pillow for his hurting back which did work. Was surprised at the number of none quilting vendors. Tried out the Sunshine midarm quilting machine. It is nice. Did discover that I like local quilt shows better.