Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Shows >

Quilt Shows

Quilt Shows

Old 04-29-2013, 07:56 PM

Default Quilt Shows

Just saw Melodyr's pictures of the Paducah show. Is that a "typical" show? My dear friend has asked my to come down the Houston Quilt show in November. Until I started reading this board I didn't even know what quilt shows were!! Are they expensive? I'd have airfare from Minnesota, but besides that, what kind of "budget" am I looking at? I really want to go, but the $$ would be the deciding factor. I'd be staying with her, so no motel charges or car rental would be involved. What have you experienced?
Old 04-29-2013, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Anniedeb View Post
Just saw Melodyr's pictures of the Paducah show. Is that a "typical" show? My dear friend has asked my to come down the Houston Quilt show in November. Until I started reading this board I didn't even know what quilt shows were!! Are they expensive? I'd have airfare from Minnesota, but besides that, what kind of "budget" am I looking at? I really want to go, but the $$ would be the deciding factor. I'd be staying with her, so no motel charges or car rental would be involved. What have you experienced?

Bearing in mind that most of us are enablers, the budget answer is probably around $5000. (j/k)
Old 04-29-2013, 09:25 PM
Power Poster

I believe Paducah and Houston are ***huge*** shows much bigger than most quilt shows. On the one hand, they are very exciting and lots of fun. On the other hand, seeing that many quilts and vendors in the space of two days or so can be mind-boggling.

The Minnesota Quilt Guild show this year will be in Duluth mid-June. Here is a link:
http://www.cvent.com/events/2013-mq-...a5a37f2c3.aspx
Old 04-29-2013, 09:49 PM

I have never been to one of the really large shows, but the ones in our area usually charge an entry fee for the show, once your inside, after viewing the beautiful quilts you will want to view the vendors. you can purchase everything from needles for your domestic machine to Long arm's, Patterns, fabric, all the new gadgets, maybe even take in one of the mini classes some shows offer (cost differs from show to show). There are usually food concessions on hand too. Some times you get really good deal's other times it is the same price to order it on line. Remember whatever you buy you will have to take it home with you on the plane, (extra luggage cost) or have it shipped home (another expense). You can always pick up a card from the vendors and wright on the back what you are interested in. When you get home, away from all the excitement, you can order. I have found when I do this, I tend to rethink my options, in the long run I spend less even if I do have to pay shipping, and waite a couple of days. You will have a ball!! Take your camera, a picture is truly worth a thousand words!
Old 04-29-2013, 10:17 PM

When I go to quilt shows I usually go through the vendors fairly quickly and if something catches my eye, then I make a note of it and if I still want to go back later I do. Remember you have to carry anything you buy so sometimes it is best to wait and buy it later. It also helps avoid the total impulse buying. And if there is something you want to find make notes before you go and then seek out the vendor. I had wanted to buy the Accuquilt Go but wasn't sure, when it was demo'd I bought my Accuquilt Go at the Road to CA show and got a great deal on it and several dies and the following year I wanted to find out more about the embroidery package for my Viking Topaz - once it was demo'd I was sure I wanted it. Once you pay for your entrance into the show, you spend as little and as much as you want. Just be sure to treat yourself to a souvenir. They usually sell bags or pins for $10.00.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:48 AM

I would love to return to Houston. How much you spend is totally dependent on your frugality. I don't buy at retail and at Houston there is rarely anything on sale. But I get a good idea of what is available on the market or coming.

Meals can be as cheap as a sandwich and bottle of water in your purse or a sit down meal. Cost of tickets is on the web so you can plan that in advance.

So in your case:
Budget for ticket, meals, and gift for the terrific friend is minimum. Anything more is at your discretion. I would take advantage of this wonderful offer as the Houston show should not be missed. A big plus is that it is in one building.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:26 AM

Paducah is THE show. That is where the National Quilt Museum is located. The show has prize $$ - Best of Show is $20,000. It is sponsored by AQS American Quilters' Society. Because of the $$, you will see quilts from all over the world entered. If you went to this as your 1st ever show, you would be overwhelmed. Personally, I would find a local guild show. I get more motivated by the quilts I see there. The national shows are more elaborate quilts, lots of bling, heavy quilting. I don't come home from those saying 'I want to mak that quilt.'

http://aqsshows.com/AQSPaducah/
Old 04-30-2013, 04:15 AM

I went to Houston last fall and the price to get in was around $20 as I recall. Once inside, your spending is up to you and your pocketbook. I saw some who were buying a lot and others were just looking. I picked up a lot of brochures for later use and have used them since. I found material that I would have never found in our rural area and have ordered from them since. It certainly isn't an opportunity to be missed. We went for two days and honestly could have gone a third. There is SO MUCH to see. I have never been to Paducah so couldn't compare the two. I certainly didn't spend anything more than I would have going to local quilt shops other than the entry fee. And oh, the eye candy is phenomenal.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:16 AM
Power Poster

The ticket prices are nominal, and you would have your food costs. The rest is up to your sales resistance! The quilt show is spectacular and so is the vendor area! Just bring whatever you want to spend in cash, and when it's gone you're done shopping. You will also be helped by the fact that you are travling by air, so won't be buying anything too large/heavy.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:24 AM

If you can afford the travel, then I say go for it. I just went to Paducah and found the quilts there to be absolutely stunning. That alone was worth the trip for me. You get a chance to see a lot of the quilting tools demonstrated and can buy them if you want - or not - I do not think there are any bargains at the show. If you can't control your spending, stay home because you certainly can spend a fortune. Having a place to stay is a huge savings.